beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
I'm not really sure if this is the right place for this because I don't know if it's the mobo or not but here's the problem. I have a compaq presario 6000. Whenever I turn it on the fans just start and stop, start and stop, start and stop. It'll just keep doing this until I turn the thing off. I thought maybe it was the power supply so tried a different PSU and the same thing happens. The power button was loose at first so I fixed that with no luck. I even unplugged the power button from the board and used a screwdriver to boot it up and get the same thing, the fans just start and stop over and over again, the led and hdd lights blink on and off, on and off, on and off, over and over again until I turn the thing off. Do you think my boards bad? Anything else I could try? I'm kind of lost here.

Thanks

BeauKnowsDiddly

Sounds like the CPU is overheating and shutting down. Since you've already disassembled it, why not check the cooling fan? Laptops collect a lot of dust and stuff around the fan, and it blocks the airflow and cooling. If you clean out the vents and the stuff around the fan it will cool your CPU again.
If it exhibits tha same behavior after you clean the fan, it could be a bad power connection on the board, or a bad board.