The Tiny Cotton Candy Computer Runs Android 4.0 ICS, Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
This is what I've been saying people should use instead of Smart TVs. Well not this exact item, but similar such products. This is something that you could easily and relatively cheaply upgrade and attach to your TV. And instead of tossing out a perfectly good tv every 2 to 3 years, you can just buy another one of these.

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
This + USB hub + gamepad + ZSNES = Portable super nintendo
It would be awesome to play topgear 2 with the father in law on his TV with a device that I pulled out of my jacket pocket....

tuch92

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
So on the previous news, it says it was going to sell for around $200. I know it's not as powerful, but I think a Raspberry Pi for $35 would be a way better value.

[citation][nom]bluekoala[/nom]This + USB hub + gamepad + ZSNES = Portable super nintendoIt would be awesome to play topgear 2 with the father in law on his TV with a device that I pulled out of my jacket pocket....[/citation]
MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]tuch92[/nom]So on the previous news, it says it was going to sell for around $200. I know it's not as powerful, but I think a Raspberry Pi for $35 would be a way better value.[/citation]

Maybe $200 if they make it. If someone like Amazon got this, you can bet it would be a sub $100 dollar item. And I would be surprised if they don't do just that in a year or two. I'm sure Amazon would love every TV set in America being tied into the Amazon store. Hell they might actually GIVE these away.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Maybe $200 if they make it. If someone like Amazon got this, you can bet it would be a sub $100 dollar item. And I would be surprised if they don't do just that in a year or two. I'm sure Amazon would love every TV set in America being tied into the Amazon store. Hell they might actually GIVE these away.[/citation]

with the purchase of a compatible TV, for normal people just trying to upgrade their own TV to be subsidized.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]This is what I've been saying people should use instead of Smart TVs. Well not this exact item, but similar such products. This is something that you could easily and relatively cheaply upgrade and attach to your TV. And instead of tossing out a perfectly good tv every 2 to 3 years, you can just buy another one of these.[/citation]
Who the hell tosses out their tv every 2-3 years? I want to know so I can get myself some more televisions...

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]Who the hell tosses out their tv every 2-3 years? I want to know so I can get myself some more televisions...[/citation]

Well that was my point. . . . .

The point is that with a Smart TV, which has a built in computer, the built in computer will be obsolete after 2-3 years. But the TV itself will be theoretically fine. Although if you were using your tablet, for example, as a remote, it may have difficulty communicating with the old hardware in your system, making your entire tv somewhat "iffy." So a better idea is to just buy a regular tv and then make it "smart" by connecting a device like this to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.