The VR Readiness Survey Results: It’s All About Price

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I've tried GearVR a bit and it was a neat experience. But realizing that's just Google Cardboard on steroids, it sure isn't wort the $$$. It was good enough that I've ordered Ritech Riem III to play with a little, since it's more or less the same thing but instead costing 100$ plus limiting me to Samsung, this one costs 25$ and can be used with almost any phone, and I actually got it for 8$ - that seems like a good deal for a throw-away tech.
But really, while upcoming VR/AR/"holo" HMDs are way better than Gear, content is still in baby diapers. When I'll be able to get next Fallout and Elder Scrolls for VR, than it will be worth it even if hardware costs 1000-1500$... simply because that hardware + 2 games 50$ each will keep me in VR for a year or more, with hundreds of hours of gameplay. And for 500+ hours, paying ~3$ per hour seems like an acceptable fee. But until then... 10$ gadgets is all I'll invest :)

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

I hope you are ready to consider parting with something around $3000 then?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Or just wait a couple years. In another generation or two, 4k OLED and wireless will be standard features on premium & possibly even mid-range models. The biggest problem with 4k resolution isn't the display cost, but rather the GPU horsepower needed to render it at rock-solid, VR-level framerates. There'll be a big improvement going to 14/16 nm and HMB2, but then we'll basically be stuck counting down the years until 10 nm.

The exotic materials is the only aspect where a big price drop isn't necessarily a given. I do expect high-end models will employ them as differentiating features. If you look at what some people will spend on high-end monitors, there's no reason to think we won't see high-end HMDs climb well north of $1k, even as the price of entry-level products continues to fall.

blackbit75

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
Too complicated. I need another PC, buy glasses that I haven't tried o seen directly, no representative game that interests me, high price. There will be limited availability at start.

Like a lot of people, I prefer to sit around for a few more years without buying any of the VR headset options that will be available soon.

So I can collect a bit more information and comments of people who get the first units.
And see what the potential effects or draw backs are of constant use of the technology.

They say if you get sea sick the best thing to do if you can is look at a fixed point on the horizon.
On deck.

And that the reason why most people get car sick is because the brain sends mixed messages that you are moving but your eyes for example are fixed to and internal object inside the moving vehicle making you feel sick.

And I suspect that there will be a percentage of people just like travel sickness or sea sickness will suffer greatly.
In both such cases it`s about the brain receiving two mixed messages or sensory input over a long sustained period of time.
Some people adjust better to it or the conditions where as other do not, or never do for each experience of it.

Obviously try before you buy, and if you can for alot longer than a five or ten minuet demo that runs.
I suspect that is why at the moment demos have a time limit if anyone has cared to notice.
when it comes to game play for hours I suspect the full indications from users from mild to bad effects will start to show by using the equipment.

I mean no one buys something they could never use could they ?

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I'm not particularly interested in VR, but at least with a 5820k, 64 gigs of ram and a 980ti, at least I can get into it if i change my mind.

forgot about your small penis you're obviously trying to compensate for by bragging about a computer system no one cares about.

I have a feeling that many of the doubters will change their minds when they actually experience legitimate VR like these headsets.

I agree. The VR technology is something to see for yourself, it will take off.

But I also agree on the pricing. I don't actually think the price is high, per say, I just know it will come down and I don't mind waiting a year or so for better performance, more content and a better price. If the nay-sayers are right and it's just a trend, then there won't be more content and it will disappear before I get one.

But I'm very confident, based on Oculus DK2, that this is here to stay. If you can start sharing locational data (Ie camera glasses to Oculus) it's going to make a huge difference for offsite support. You will be able to see through the users eyes and walk them through almost anything. With the Microsoft VR tech, you could highly bolts on cars, or servers, or specific cables and tell people to tighten or disconnect.

Huge advancements for IT support.

John Lukitsh

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014
I was able to try the dk2 at the Chicago autoshow of all places. I was overall amazed by the tech and could not wait to order the consumer version. My only disappointment at the time was the SDE, but I know that's been reduced quite a bit since then.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

PC gaming is fine and has never really not been fine. What is this disastrous pc time period that you're referring to.

0MN1P073N7

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
I've tried the Vive and was blown away. Would love to buy one but $600 is closer to my price range. Hope the Oculus is comparable. Don't think i will mind though, the room motion is awesome but not something i'll setup at home. I'm all about that cockpit sim. Oculus should do fine.

Also, I tested my machine with the Steam tester. Says my CPU isn't good enough but my 2600k is running at 4.2ghz since 2011 and is still strong enough to hang with the big boys with what, a 3fps drop over modern CPUs? The only reason I even think about upgrading CPU is for better a motherboard lol.

picture_perfect

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003

Late reply, but in case you've been under a rock, PC gaming is making a come back. A come back from what....from being pirated to death and the resulting mass exodus of scared game developers away from PC gaming. Even John Carmack left for more lucrative console sales. For a few years after that, the only PC games available were buggy, ported, dumbed down second hand console games. It sucked. Nobody would touch PC gaming, it was dead. I watched the PC game aisles as best buy dwindle down to nothing. It's still rare to find PC exclusives not infected by kiddie console compromises (a good example is DIrtybomb) but things seem to be changing now for whatever reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.