News The Zen 5 Gaming postmortem: Larger generational gains than many reported, game-boosting Windows Update tested, Ryzen 5 7600X3D gaming benchmarks, too

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Interesting. I would be interested to understand how your results are so much different than say, hardware unboxed. Are the non-canned benchmark sections of the games that much different? This really is an interesting topic.

Pierce2623

Prominent
Dec 3, 2023
In this article I’m seeing a clear 10%+ improvement in frame rates from pure CPU. That’s good single core gains in 2024. Arrow Lake will fall in the same area but with slightly higher power use, I imagine.

Interesting. I would be interested to understand how your results are so much different than say, hardware unboxed. Are the non-canned benchmark sections of the games that much different? This really is an interesting topic.
Game selection and testing areas can and will make a difference. Even in games where we might overlap HWUB, if we test a different area, or the same area using a different path, that will result in changes in performance.

We can't speak to precisely how HWUB tests (I haven't looked for their latest data), but using Expo as noted has a non-trivial impact on performance, and the same goes for stuff like Windows updates, game drivers, etc. — not to mention differences in motherboards, memory kits, and graphics cards — even the exact same model GPU (i.e. an Asus ROG Strix 4090 OC) can have variance of maybe 1~2 percent across individual units.

It's relatively easy to cause up to a ~5% swing in overall performance differences by changing the games, settings, and benchmark sequences used for testing. And that's fine, that's why places test with multiple games and different places use different test suites. It's all potentially useful data.

Reactions: Heiro78

vijosef

Upstanding
Feb 26, 2024
The fonts on the charts are unnecessarily tiny.
They are ilegible.

The name of the processor could be written on the right side of the axis, inside the bar. It would gain space to make the text larger.

Reactions: NinoPino
Oh, this is some interesting new information I didn't have before: "Notably, Intel does not do this." in the context of "recommending" using XMP. I had the solid impression Intel always bundled fast RAM in their review kits, but it seems that's not the case? If so, kudos to them on this specific aspect.

And, obviously, thanks for the great data and additional information around the performance characteristics of your testing. I always like it when reviewers can step away from the "enthusiast" edge a bit and get things closer to how an OEM system would actually ship. Now we just need for all reviewers to also test with TDP enforced limits on Intel like most OEM systems ship with (looking at you, Dell).

Regards.