Question There is nowhere to connect the system fan to the PSU ?

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Hello,

I can't connect my system fan because there just doesn't seem to be a spot for it. The fan is old and it has a 4 pin female Molex connection. The problem is the only available connections on my PSU are also female molex, Is there some kind of adapter? I did a search for male to male 4 pin molex but no joy. Do they not make those? There has to be some kind of adapter, no?

Thanks everyone!

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Unfortunately the simple answer is no, nobody seems to sell a 4-pin Molex male-to-male adapter. But you can make your own if you can splice wires. Get TWO of this adapter type

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Cable-...ix=4-pin+molex+to+sata+adapter,aps,102&sr=8-3

That's a 3-pack (you can use 2 of them) of adapters from 4-pin male Molex to SATA. On two of them cut off the SATA connectors. Then simply spice wires from the two units matching wire colours. If possible, solder each connection and tape over to insulate.

What you describe is odd. The closest to that I have seen is a fan that came with TWO connectors on its wires, one female and one male, so that you could plug in a fan and have a female connector left over to "replace" the one "used" by the fan.

The fan is old and it has a 4 pin female Molex connection. The problem is the only available connections on my psu are also female molex, Is there some kind of adapter?
Is it this type of molex connector?
It has one side - male, other side female.

eb42c5928a58548ad6aaab173da8eea8.webp.jpg

Reactions: Zerk2012

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Actually, that item is both female, with holes that the male pins can fit into.

OP, that link took me to many pages of a search result, and that is where I could NOT find the correct adapter. That is why I asked what you did order.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Actually, that item is both female, with holes that the male pins can fit into.

OP, that link took me to many pages of a search result, and that is where I could NOT find the correct adapter. That is why I asked what you did order.

This is the adapter i've suggested

View: https://imgur.com/a/AVQkIqr

This is Amazon US site. If you wish to see the listing you need to make sure it is US Amazon and not redirected.