[SOLVED] Thermal Design Power (TDP) - features of Intel Core i7 - 10700T, 8x2.000 GHZ

Apr 30, 2020
good day dear experts,

this thread is all abou the TDP -

i am curious abou the TDP.

I have heard that the new series of Intel CPU also has got the TDP-features.

so i am musing to buy a Intel Core i7 - 10700T, 8x2.000 GHZ to r un a low power consumption machine.

btw: is it the T in the description that maks the low power consumption cpu

a. Intel Core i7 - 10700T, 8x2.000 GHZ

this one has got low power consumption features : i guess it runs with 35 Watt

a. Intel Core i7 - 10700, 8x2.000 GHZ
this one has not got low power consumption features - i guess it runs with 65 Watt

regarding the Thermal Design Power (TDP) - features - i have r ead the following in the intel-description:

cpu Intel Core i7 - 10700T, 8x2.000 GHZ

Intel® Core™ i7-10700T Prozessor 16 MB Cache, bis zu 4,50 GHz
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/d...0700t-processor-16m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html

https://www.intel.de/content/www/de/de/products/processors/core/i7-processors/i7-10700t.html

Power dissipation (TDP) 35 W
Thermal Design Power (TDP) stands for the average power consumption (in watts) that the processor derives when operating at the base frequency when all cores are active during a highly complex workload defined by Intel. The cooler requirements can be found in the data sheet: 35 W.

Configurable TDP-down 25 W
The configurable TDP-down is a processor operating mode in which processor behavior and performance are adjusted by reducing the TDP and processor frequency to specific values. The configurable TDP-down is typically used by the system manufacturer to optimize power consumption and performance characteristics. The configurable TDP-down is the average power consumption (in watts) that the processor derives when operating at the frequency of the configurable TDP-down with a highly complex workload defined by Intel. 25 W.

to sume up: if i want to run a low power consumption cpu - then i have to take this one...

a. Intel Core i7 - 10700T, 8x2.000 GHZ - ( .... .with the " T " in the type-description ....)

this one has got low power consumption features : i guess it runs with 35 Watt

look forward to hear from you

Solution
Yes the T version has less power draw but it only shows if you will run something that will use all the cores of the CPU,at idle or if you only use a few cores, TDP will be the same.

Also you can use the normal CPU non-T and get a mobo which allows TDP configuration which should be almost every mobo if not 100% all of them.
That way you can limit the CPU to 35 or 25W but if you ever want to run it at full speed you can do that as well.
Unless the price of the T model is a lot lower, and normally it is higher, I would go with the normal model and just change the settings in the bios.
Yes the T version has less power draw but it only shows if you will run something that will use all the cores of the CPU,at idle or if you only use a few cores, TDP will be the same.

Also you can use the normal CPU non-T and get a mobo which allows TDP configuration which should be almost every mobo if not 100% all of them.
That way you can limit the CPU to 35 or 25W but if you ever want to run it at full speed you can do that as well.
Unless the price of the T model is a lot lower, and normally it is higher, I would go with the normal model and just change the settings in the bios.

Solution