Thermal Paste and looping!

G

Greetings,

I am getting ready to install a Chrome Orb on a 800 T-bird(overclocked sometime soon) and have two questions.

(1) Will the pad on the bottom the Orb suffice, or

(2) After removing the pad, will a no name thermal compound work(can't find Artic Silver locally).

Thanks for the patience and help in advance!

On a different note, I have been following the forums as much as possible and have noticed that some critics while having some good advice, do seem to continually post it in a negative manner. However, after reading a statement a few posts back I can almost understand why some of them have a negative outlook. "PH"ugger summed it all up when he stated, "I was working on my AMD(meltdown?) and was cooked for a few seconds. Now I just reboot/loop in a constant cycle while playing with keychains." It was something or other like that! :)

A whip for the horse, a bridle for the donkey, and a rod for the fools back!!

G

If you want your Thunderbird to run cooler, buy the recommended (Tom's Hardware Guide) Socket A CPU Fan - FOP32-1 and install with Arctic Thermal Silver paste, and you'll notice your processor will run cooler. I have a 1 GHZ Tbird installed in an ASUS A7V, that would hit over 50 degrees centigrade frequently, and as I speak now, the CPU is at 41(ASUSPROBE). You can pick them up on the net for under 20. I got mine with the paste for 21.95. I think in the long run it will be a better investment than the chrome orb..Good Luck...

G

Always learning,

I dig the name. I too am learning. Thanks for the input. I don't have a whole lot of experience with putting together computer, but hell yeah I am having fun! Is'nt that what it is all about?....fun! Yeah thats right, too all of you who have forgotten what computers are all about...peace out and may you soon take pleasure in something so simple as 1's and 0's, and as complex as it comes. Later.

A whip for the horse, a bridle for the donkey, and a rod for the fools back!!