Thermal Paste Comparison, Part One: Applying Grease And More

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moulderhere

Distinguished
I used to have a technician at a college I.T. shop that would swear by using Kraft Cheese Singles slices the thin ones for thermal compound.

His thought was that if the cheese were to actually melt, that it cpu was running to hot anyways and would probably have damage done.

Needless to say, when he was around we'd leave the vent fans going full tilt.

Aug 6, 2013

Surely, bits of square-snipped condoms would work better?

:lol:

moulderhere

Distinguished
I'm being honest, I know it is crazy but he swore by it.

With that being said, we wouldn't ever let him work on our personal pc's. But he swore by it.

I also have heard people use car dielectric greese on cpu's.

GeoFan49

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
DHT may refer to:

Dihydrotestosterone, a potent endogenous androgenic hormone, derived from testosterone.
Directly heated triode, a type of thermionic valve now used primarily in audio amplifiers.
Discrete Hartley transform, a Fourier-related transform of discrete, periodic data similar to the discrete Fourier transform.
Distributed hash table, a type of distributed system that provides hash table–like functionality.

Other.

DHT (band), a Belgian dance duo
Dr Hadwen Trust, a UK charity promoting animal experiments alternatives

Rich72

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Great article, thank you!Let me share my tried and true method of applying high-viscosity AS/5:put lentil sized blob on the heatsink. Dip your finger in isopropyl alcohol and spread the paste evenly over the heatplate. The alcohol temporarily reduces the viscosity allowing a thin, smooth coating. Wait a couple of minutes for the alcohol to evaporate then assemble.If and when you add to this test, forget the toothpaste and try a small piece of aluminum foil between heatplate and CPU. I suspect it will achieve the desired result better and for free!

Status
Not open for further replies.