Question Thermal problems with Ryzen 7 5800X ?

Apr 25, 2024
I recently upgraded from an old Ryzen 5 3600 to a Ryzen 7 5800x and have had terrible thermal problems.

I first started with a Bequiet Pure Rock 2 because I've heard good things about Bequiet air coolers and how nice they are, but I've had terrible thermal problems with the bequiet, reaching temps of 96 Celsius. I never ran any proper tests, but I've been using RPCS3 ( ps3 emulator) as a real-world test, and it acts as my baseline. That was about a week ago and since then I've switched to a NZXT Kraken 240mm, and while the thermals are better, they are still not water cooling levels of cooling. While running RPCS3 it reaches temps of 89c. It idles hot, it runs under load hot

While the bequiet was on my computer I reapplied thermal paste and readjusted it 3 times and all 3 times it had similar thermals. I've asked a few friends and they made sure I didn't mess up the installation process, and they are equally confused why it gets so hot.

Any ideas as to why it gets so hot?

I recently upgraded from an old Ryzen 5 3600 to a Ryzen 7 5800x and have had terrible thermal problems.

I first started with a Bequiet Pure Rock 2 because I've heard good things about Bequiet air coolers and how nice they are, but I've had terrible thermal problems with the bequiet, reaching temps of 96 Celsius. I never ran any proper tests, but I've been using RPCS3 ( ps3 emulator) as a real-world test, and it acts as my baseline. That was about a week ago and since then I've switched to a NZXT Kraken 240mm, and while the thermals are better, they are still not water cooling levels of cooling. While running RPCS3 it reaches temps of 89c. It idles hot, it runs under load hot

While the bequiet was on my computer I reapplied thermal paste and readjusted it 3 times and all 3 times it had similar thermals. I've asked a few friends and they made sure I didn't mess up the installation process, and they are equally confused why it gets so hot.

Any ideas as to why it gets so hot?
It's a very hot CPU, needs very good cooling and Voltage and power control. Throttle starts at 95c. Try setting to TDP to 95W and use Curve optimizer in BIOS or Ryzen Master for dynamic voltage control.

Apr 25, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What is the make and model of your case? Number of fans in your case and their orientation? Ambient room air temps? How is the cooler mounted in your case?
Sorry for taking so long to reply, life gets busy sometimes.

The case is a fractal design focus g
There are 2 fans on the radiator, mounted directly on the top of the case, and 2 fans blowing air into the case on the front
The ambient room temps are around 70f
The AIO is set up where it goes from the bottom up; fans, radiator, case. With the fans blowing air up and out of the case