Thermal Protection is it all that?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

hmmm.. You don’t seem to take into account that the CPU fan is mounted on top of a heat sink, a situation were debris build up is more likely to occur. You also don’t take into account that CPU fans rotate at at least 2 times the speed of large case fans which would put more strain on the fan when there is an imbalance. These two factors out way air flow as the major causing factor of debris build up and fan failure.

As to the other point, CPU failure or hard drive failure.. I would rather have neither!

c-ya

(A)bort, (R)etry, (G)et a beer?

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thx for the explanation. Dose this also apply to the Athlon? If is dose then we can assume the Athlon is also never using max wattage. Right?

<font color=red>There are only 2 types of hard drives. Ones that have crashed and ones that are about to.</font color=red>

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Right, the specs they give for the Athlon's max wattage is computed in pretty much the same way the Pentium 4's wattage is done. I should never hit that max wattage either except under theoretical conditions, perhaps in some lab with testing equipment.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Actually I am a manager in IT and have working IT for the past 10 years or so. Currently my corner of the world is responsible for 800+ PCs and 400+ UNIX boxes so please do not ever presume to tell me what I have or have not ever done until you know me.

I CAN tell you that cpu fans fail very rarely.

I CAN tell you that we don't care what dies in a PC, it gets swapped out. That's why companies with any significant IT dependence have hardware vendors and contracts to replace the stuff.

I CAN tell you that if I found any of my overworked engineers dicking around swapping cpu fans and generally doing what the hardware support contract people are paid to do - I'd have serious words with them.

All we'd do is swap the HDD into a replacement machine and replace the user's box. Then it's off to Compaq, Dell, local support vendor thank you very much. From their it is THEIR problem, not ours.

In my experience the major cause of PCs needing to be swapped and replaced is because the software screws up, not hardware. Hardware failures a few and far between compared to software failures.

Any PC failure is downtime for the user. A user who is important enough to the business will have an SLA put in place to ensure there is spare hardware available for their use... If your IT org does it's job properly and the PCs are standard enough across the business, you end up needing relatively few standby machines at a lower cost to the business than having IT engineers with better things to do than swap PC fans around. I realise swapping a fan is a 2 minute job, but by the time you've plled the PC from wherever it is, unplugged, opened and diagnosed, then gone to get the spare parts and come back and replaced them, it would be faster to bring a replacement PC with you and swap it pre-emptively anyway. Then send it back to your work lab or whatever and piss away your time figuring what broke, replace it back in to the spare pool again.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

Makaveli

Splendid
Whoa thanks for all the info on Fan's was more than I expected. Hmm good thing got rid of my generic HSFI bought a Volcano II HSF.
Specs
FAN SPEED: 4500 +/- 10%
MAX AIR FLOW: 36CFM
NOISE: 31.5 dBa
2 BALL BEARING
80,000 HOURS

As for case fans I have two 80mm
CFM: 30
27dba
MTBF=20,000 hours
with 5 yrs warranty and I take a vacuum to the inside of my PC once a month to clear up any dust.

So from what i've read my case fans should die before my Volcano II.

G

well, it sounds to me like you don’t even work with PC’s at the hardware level. If someone has a PC hardware failure you have one of your lackey’s ship the pc off to a hardware vendor and it sounds like you don’t even care about what’s wrong with them. Just ship it off and replace it. You said earlier that you “don't think companies give a rat's a$$ about a cpu fan or dead cpus.” To me that strikes me as an odd statement coming from someone who is in charge of keeping a company’s PC’s running. I work with PC’s on a daily basis with hardware and software and I can tell you from my experience that a dead computer can be a big deal to me and the company I work for. Any way, its obvious that we just have a different view on the subject. That's ok. It's no reason to get bent out of shape.

Relax, its only ONES and ZEROS!

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Unfortunately, if it's costing his computer suppliers and support companies more money to service their systems, it's going to end up costing his company more when they raise their prices.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<font color=blue>"well, it sounds to me like you don’t even work with PC’s at the hardware level."</font color=blue>

No one works at the "hardware" level today. At the most, you swap a board, simply moving the problem for someone else to fix. Bad power supply? Replace it. Bad video card? Replace it. Can't figure out what is wrong? Replace the entire system. Not much skill or talent is required.

When I was involved in computer hardware (20 yrs ago), there were no spare boards. We had to repair the board, on site, down to the chip, transistor, or diode with the customer looking over our shoulder asking "when will it be up"? Much of the older equipment was completely transistor based! A different time, different equipment, a lot more pressure, and true skills and knowledge were required to get something repaired. Not like today at all.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

G

wow, swapping transistors and diodes, that is a lot more complicated then the throw-away pc parts we have today. Maybe in another 20 years will be throwing the whole PC in the trash when something goes wrong.

Relax, its only ONES and ZEROS!

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In 20 years we will be wearing it on our wrists (better have thermal protection by then to prevent blisters), or perhaps even implanted in our brains (God forbid)!

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

G

>No one works at the "hardware" level today.

Not on PC's of course. But you can find people/companies to repair your special, one-of-a-kind R&D board. A project I was involved in once had to do this. I don't recall what exactly was wrong, not my department. I think something overheated and cooked some traces. The price tag wasn't pretty!

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.