[SOLVED] Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A good for Ryzen 3900x? (convex base, die size)

Apr 30, 2020
I'm currently deciding if I should buy a new cooler for my 3900x rig i'm about to assemble.

Stock cooler seems pretty fine with just 1% performance gap even compared with more expensive cooling solutions.

On the other hand room temperature can reach even 35/38°c during summer and my rig will be used for long rendering session(even 8/10 hours) therefore i'm not really sure.

I'd really like to use my old CPU cooler from my previous rig. A Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A bought in 2013 ( http://www.thermalright.com/product/macho-rev-abw/ ) but im concerned it wont perform well due to 3900x IHS and different die size compared to older chips. Macho Rev.A also has a convex base and i'm not sure if this could be a thing.

As I want to restrain my budget on this one I'd prefer to keep one of those 2 but I'll buy one if needed.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 with 2 fan(1 intake, 1 outake)

Solution
If you get an am4 mounting bracket for the Macho I dont see why would should not try it. I petsonally doubt that the stock cooler will cut it for your use case.
Some companies ship new brackets for free upon request.
You can always get another cooler later, but I would try the Macho first.

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
If you get an am4 mounting bracket for the Macho I dont see why would should not try it. I petsonally doubt that the stock cooler will cut it for your use case.
Some companies ship new brackets for free upon request.
You can always get another cooler later, but I would try the Macho first.

Solution