Thermalright Intros Archon SB-E X2 CPU Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

anononon

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
I dont understand the market for these type of coolers, at this price point. Considering the basic all-in one liquid coolers are as low as $60.00 bucks in the right areas. Not only cheaper, but do a MUCH better job. At a $100.00 dollar price point, why wouldnt I just buy an H80/H100?

What am I missing here? Please!

[citation][nom]anononon[/nom]I dont understand the market for these type of coolers, at this price point. Considering the basic all-in one liquid coolers are as low as $60.00 bucks in the right areas. Not only cheaper, but do a MUCH better job. At a $100.00 dollar price point, why wouldnt I just buy an H80/H100? What am I missing here? Please![/citation]

When I got my 2500K I had to choose between a Zalman 9900Max B or a Corsair Hydro H100. From every review I have found on the web, the Corsair Hydro H100 is still a bit worse than the 9900Max B and would have cost $120 (at the time) vs $75.

I went with the 9900Max B and its quite and cools my 2500K very well when running full load at 4.5GHz.

The problem with the closed loop coolers is that they can only do so much and compared to this or other high end air coolers, it just doesn't cut it.

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
and how does it compare w/ the Hyper 212 Evo? This looks slimmer and taller but that also means less cooling capacity..

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
[citation][nom]kenyee[/nom]and how does it compare w/ the Hyper 212 Evo? This looks slimmer and taller but that also means less cooling capacity..[/citation]

It all comes down to surface area of the heat sink. While this maybe thinner, the additional height may have let them add in a few more fins that might have increased the overall surface area to a higher amount. So really, without having a given surface area for this heatsink, it's difficult to tell which would be better until we get that information and test.

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
[citation][nom]anononon[/nom]I dont understand the market for these type of coolers, at this price point. Considering the basic all-in one liquid coolers are as low as $60.00 bucks in the right areas. Not only cheaper, but do a MUCH better job. At a $100.00 dollar price point, why wouldnt I just buy an H80/H100? What am I missing here? Please![/citation]

Budget all in ones are not worth it. An Antec 620 or H60 only matches the Hyper 212 Evo and costs $20 more.

g-unit1111

Titan

There's nothing that says that plastic water blocks perform better than a strong air fan like the one in the article. You get exactly the same overclocking results and you're not stuck with a noisy radiator. If you want to push beyond 4.5GHz get a real open liquid loop, don't waste money on an H100.

skaz

Distinguished
[citation][nom]vmem[/nom]Why would I buy this for $100 rather than a Noctua D14? the height clearance is the same... and now, even the colors are getting similar[/citation]

RAM Heatsinks. Read the article brother.

[citation][nom]balister[/nom]It all comes down to surface area of the heat sink. While this maybe thinner, the additional height may have let them add in a few more fins that might have increased the overall surface area to a higher amount. So really, without having a given surface area for this heatsink, it's difficult to tell which would be better until we get that information and test.[/citation]

The 212 Evo has fewer heat pipes (granted they are direct touch heatpipes and larger heat pipes IIRC) and one les fan which is by itself probably inferior to one of this cooler's fans. The 212 Evo is a great cooler for the money, but it's almost definitely an inferior cooler when price is taken out of the equation. Surface area is just one of many aspects of a cooler's cooling performance and it does not necessarily (not even close to necessarily) define cooling performance by itself.

[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]for $89.99 just buy a corsair H80[/citation]

Why do people still talk about clsed loop coolers as if they're great? The only serious advantage that they have is that they aren't huge chunks of metal. Closed loop water coolers can be more convenient in some situations. Otherwise, they're almsot always inferior to many air coolers with similar prices and often times even compared to much cheaper air coolers.

It's a lot thinner than an NH-D14 and until we see some good benchmarks, there's no guarantee that it's better or worse at cooling than the NH-D14. A better question would be why would you buy an NH-D14 because the Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK is better than the NH-D14 and usually has a similar price.

Status
Not open for further replies.