Review Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 Review: Simply the Best

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Albert.Thomas

Prominent
Staff member
Aug 10, 2022
Now fast forward to your latest review of the Phantom Spirit 120 where you compare to the PA120 amongst others and I take a look at the noise levels. Maximum noise levels for the PA were measured at 48.5db and not the 34db that was posted in the original review.

What gives? I have now just purchased the Phantom Spirit based on this review and I am expecting 41.9db maximum with this cooler.

Hi footman,

Since that review I've entirely changed the way I test things. I've changed the thermal tests I run, how I measure the noise levels, the equipment I use to test the noise levels with, and the case and testing system(s) I use.

I hope you'll find this an acceptable answer.

Reactions: footman

kamikazilucas

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
i have ma824 stealth and i have my 5800x running at 90 watts and it is nowhere near that quiet so idk what you did but its loud and always ramps up well beyond 38 db

Last edited by a moderator:

footman

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
Hi footman,

Since that review I've entirely changed the way I test things. I've changed the thermal tests I run, how I measure the noise levels, the equipment I use to test the noise levels with, and the case and testing system(s) I use.

I hope you'll find this an acceptable answer.
Makes sense.... Appreciate the feedback and the reviews.... I swapped out the stock fans anyhow to the Arctic P12 Max at 2000 rpm.... Better performance and quieter......