News Thermaltake Adds ARGB Model to Level 20 GT

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Yes, "Adressable RGB", which is the proprietary technology used by Thermaltake to sync their RGB equipped devices within a single system. I submitted feedback to the Thermaltake webmaster to have them add a better description of what "ARGB" stands for and not for customers to guess what it means. I found it spelled out once you select a case and scroll down to the section "Sync with Motherboard RGB Software" and is titled "Addressable RGB LED Header". The main selling point of ARGB is that it is capable of syncing several different vendors' RGB products (e.g., Asus Aura Sync, Gigabyte RGB Fusion, MSI Mystic Light Sync, and ASRock Polychrome) into one common interface ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Giroro

Giroro

Splendid
Addressable RGB, which means it has a digital controller on the device and a data pin on the header. It allows you to do more with patterns and timing
Thanks for chiming in. Google was telling me "Alpha RGB" and I was thinking adding an alpha channel would be at best a minor convinience to whomever writes the driver that nobody else would notice.

So I assume it uses a common WS2812B or similar?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Thanks for chiming in. Google was telling me "Alpha RGB" and I was thinking adding an alpha channel would be at best a minor convinience to whomever writes the driver that nobody else would notice.

So I assume it uses a common WS2812B or similar?
I'm not sure, but you can find out what the related cables are using with a Google search, the long version of the name is "digitally addressable RGB LED", and the users fought over various names like DLED and ADD-LED until finally settling on ARGB as shorthand.

branden_lucero

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
ARGB has the issue of being limited to 5v only. Meaning if you do daisy chaining or have long strips, chances are not all your things will light up unless you have a second power source. So even though the ARGB variant is $30 cheaper, i would rather pay that $30 difference with a 12v controller that can connect up to 5 devices (or more if daisy chained with another controller - as they all only need one power source). Yes, i'll be stuck on the Thermaltake eco system only, but i actually enjoy it. Much better than Asus's Aura Sync. But alas, i'll continue to wait until the regular RGB variant drops to the $200 threshold, hopefully.

cvora79

Commendable
Dec 7, 2017
You pay 200$ for case that comes with flawed controller. Cannot change fan speed, they are spinning @ 100% all the time !!!! Case sounds like hurricane!!!! They provide 6 pin fans that can be plugged only into provided controller, and there is only option to change colors!! So you basically get rainbow and hurricane at the same time !!!!

cvora79

Commendable
Dec 7, 2017
AVOID AT ALL COSTS !!!! Believe me, if you dont want tornado sounding system, look somewhere else. Friendly neighbour ;)