Thermaltake Riing plus RGB fan controller smoking.

May 4, 2018
I have a corsair CX750 modular PSU, and I lost the original molex cable for it (which powers the fan controller) so I ordered a new one from corsair and it did not fit into my psu. i literally whittled a couple of the pins plastic surroundings into the right shape to fit into my psu. they fit. fans work. fan controller gets hot as a jalapeno and starts smoking. help.

Solution
What you ordered or what corsair sent you is obviously wrong. Modular psu cables are not meant to be interchangeable, that's why they are shaped the way they are. You'll find that just because you have a corsair cx750-m, that's not the same as a new cx750m. Personally, I'd call corsair and give them exactly what model number psu you have (not that it's a cx750m, but the full name) and get the right cable and hope everything works. You'll find that the RGB controller on those fans is more than likely proprietary and that's the only controller that will work with them.
Warning! Modular cables are not interchangeable on the PSU side between manufacturers or even different models of the same manufacturer. Everything you've stated sounds like you have the wrong cable. It's getting hot and smoking because the wiring is wrong. It could be the wrong voltage or wrong polarity. Stop what you are doing immediately! You will destroy your equipment and potentially cause a fire. Even if it still works. It's lifespan is likely greatly reduced and the safety of using any equipment which was attached to that line is now suspect.

May 4, 2018

I unplugged everything right when I started to smell the hot plastic. I've spent hours looking for the "right cable" and now I am wondering if it would be better to just get a different fan controller as apposed to the one that came with the Thermaltake riing fans. any suggestions?

WildCard999

Titan

Using different cables is a big no, but actually carving the connection to get it to fit is just... :pfff:

Hopefully nothing is damaged besides the fan controller.

May 4, 2018

Lol I know that it was a long shot, and probably an unorthodox method. I looked on Corsair's website and there are no photos of the actual 6 pin psu connector shapes, so it is impossible for me to know if I am buying the correct cable (there are about 3 different cables that look like they will work). At this point I just want to ditch the whole fan setup and buy something that doesn't take extra adapters.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What you ordered or what corsair sent you is obviously wrong. Modular psu cables are not meant to be interchangeable, that's why they are shaped the way they are. You'll find that just because you have a corsair cx750-m, that's not the same as a new cx750m. Personally, I'd call corsair and give them exactly what model number psu you have (not that it's a cx750m, but the full name) and get the right cable and hope everything works. You'll find that the RGB controller on those fans is more than likely proprietary and that's the only controller that will work with them.

Solution
May 4, 2018

Haven't tried this yet. Sound like a good Idea and makes sense. Thank you!

May 4, 2018

Where would the the SATA plug in?

Jan 2, 2019
What's the exact cable you are looking for?

As I understand it. The Thermaltake has a Molex to controller power adapter. As long as you have the proper SATA lines for your PSU. You could use a SATA Male to Molex Female adapter.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...a_male_to_molex_female-_-12-400-505-_-Product
Super late reply but I'd like to know if this worked for anyone? Only because everything was fine with my Thermaltake fan controller UNTIL I decided to convert the Molex Power to a Sata Power connection and that is when I lost it. 😆😆😆😆😆