These GeForce GTX 480, 470 Will be Different

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjkucia

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
This is a great thing for overclockers, and those who just want to keep their parts cool. I'd like it more if they included a normal fan in there too, just in case you want to move the card into a system without liquid cooling.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I'm not bashing Fermi at all, in fact I hope it does well (which, in time, it will) - but I just don't get why invest in this right now? The next gen fermi is coming, maybe not soon enough, but it's coming, so I think it makes sense to wait for it unless for some odd reason you MUST have the 1st generation (with the heat, deactivated cores, unreasonable price tag and just sheer knowledge that it's not a good buy) - in which case a watercooled card is pretty much your only option.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
First, what's with the fins on the FTW cards? Apparently eVGA thinks LCS systems have airflow in them. Or at least enough airflow to help keep the power circuitry cool...

I also think the stock cooling solutions should be included on cards that come with waterblocks. $350 and $500 buy the cards with stock cooling solutions. 3rd-party waterblocks typically cost between $100 and $150. How is these cards a value to the consumer when they don't include the stock cooling? They added a $150 part and $150 to the price tag to cover the cost of that part. Where's the benefit and value? You say the value is that it's pre-installed? Big deal. Anyone using a LCS already possesses the skill required to install waterblocks properly and could probably break down a stock card, clean it, and install the waterblock in 15 minutes.

Why is this in red? If half the articles are in red, it kindof negates the point of having important things in red. It's just a graphics card with a water cooler...like they've never released one of those before.

BoxBabaX

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
[citation][nom]RazberyBandit[/nom]First, what's with the fins on the FTW cards? Apparently eVGA thinks LCS systems have airflow in them. Or at least enough airflow to help keep the power circuitry cool...I also think the stock cooling solutions should be included on cards that come with waterblocks. $350 and $500 buy the cards with stock cooling solutions. 3rd-party waterblocks typically cost between $100 and $150. How is these cards a value to the consumer when they don't include the stock cooling? They added a $150 part and $150 to the price tag to cover the cost of that part. Where's the benefit and value? You say the value is that it's pre-installed? Big deal. Anyone using a LCS already possesses the skill required to install waterblocks properly and could probably break down a stock card, clean it, and install the waterblock in 15 minutes.[/citation]

Agree 100%

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I fully agree that water cooling is awesome, but the vast majority of people who buy video cards don't have water cooled systems (Like me)

So this isn't really a fix but an added super high end user appeal. This won't move product off the shelves. I'm saving my pennies right now for a new system this summer but with those temps and water cooling not really an option for me, I'll still most likely be aiming at a 5850 or 5870.

[citation][nom]RazberyBandit[/nom]First, what's with the fins on the FTW cards? Apparently eVGA thinks LCS systems have airflow in them.[/citation]

Even in LCS systems most will have a 140mm fan on the side panel so that will create plenty of airflow for cooling the circuitry.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]RazberyBandit[/nom]First, what's with the fins on the FTW cards? Apparently eVGA thinks LCS systems have airflow in them. Or at least enough airflow to help keep the power circuitry cool...I also think the stock cooling solutions should be included on cards that come with waterblocks. $350 and $500 buy the cards with stock cooling solutions. 3rd-party waterblocks typically cost between $100 and $150. How is these cards a value to the consumer when they don't include the stock cooling? They added a $150 part and $150 to the price tag to cover the cost of that part. Where's the benefit and value? You say the value is that it's pre-installed? Big deal. Anyone using a LCS already possesses the skill required to install waterblocks properly and could probably break down a stock card, clean it, and install the waterblock in 15 minutes.[/citation]
that`s why ppl like you don`t get to design things based on physics, you have an air flow inside your computer and you get the air flow even without the presance of an fan, or you think that the winds in nature are driven by large fans and not from the difference in low/hight temperature?

kewlx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
[citation][nom]counselmancl[/nom]According to the chart, the 470 doesn't even get above freezing! That's a good cooler.[/citation] Thats in Celsius...Do you know anything about computers?

stipator

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Initially, I was somewhat skeptical about the thermal output of Nvidias new graphics offering. After simmering on the idea, I realized that this situation could take us in a new direction. If the market responds to this by creating cheaper water and phase cooling solutions then we will be much better off. Imagine using phase cooling on the GTX 480 and having the headroom to overclock this to new heights. I think cheap, powerful, and efficient phase cooling would be ideal.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]This still doesnt negate the fact that using these cards are going to double your electricity bill, and triple in the case of SLI.[/citation]

Just so you know, people that buy these cards can afford to pay the electric bill :)

Status
Not open for further replies.