Thief Patch Enables TrueAudio And Mantle: First Benchmarks

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

You both seem to be missing the main point of Mantle. Mantle seeks to give devs lower-level hardware access which decreases overhead. That means you can either do more with the same compute power or do just as much as before with less power. Top-end hardware usually isn't impacted by overhead very much. It's got power and performance to spare so it can just brute force its way through everything and still deliver positive results. I mean, will you really care about a 20% improvement on an i7 + 780 when you're already at 60fps minimum? Unless you're just shy of smooth framerates on a 1440p display or triple monitor setup, those extra 12 frames won't matter much.

The low- to mid-range stuff is where you see more noticeable gains because games that were completely unplayable become feasible at lower details, and the merely playable games become pleasantly smooth.

jin_mtvt

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Because 75% of games are using 300$+ i7 /200$mobo combinations to game.Wake the .. up. $$$ doesn't fall from the sky and alot of people are on budget rigs,updating one component at a time. I own a 290 and i seriously do not care much currently about how much mantle ups it up, since i've got enough. But i do know alot of people that are limited in $$$ who are very happy that their updated rig with a recent 270X just got 20-30% improvement in BF4 . AMD is working on something that seems to be working ( nice sounding phrase ! ) please at least show some respect.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
HEY, tomshardware, since Radeon 290X are using PCIE to crossfire, would u guys try to bench a pair of 290X running in crossfire @ PCIE 2.0 8x?

Mahisse

Distinguished
People should keep in mind that while Mantle is very useful for current low end cpu, it also means that your high end i7-4770 will last another year or 2 longer with Mantle support. So while mantle isn't immediate beneficial to those with 100+ fps with ultra settings, in another 2 years, you're going to want a mature version of Mantle.
Exactly. Assuming Mantle will still have that advantage over DirectX when the current high-end CPUs would be a bottleneck. AND assuming that this also applies to low end Intel CPUs. I would love to see a i3 or even an old Pentium 4 system benchmarked with Mantle. Just to see how much stress you can transfer to the GPU from the CPU.

PCMedic101

Reputable
Feb 19, 2014
I think what needs to be taken into consideration, especially in light of the fact that Mantle sees much greater success in lower to mid-range systems is AMD's coup in the console wars. With AMD APU's powering both the PS4 and Xbox One, Mantle, or some other iteration of it may become the primary API for next gen console games as developers look to maximize the potential of both these systems. I haven't seen anything that says that either console could not be updated to run Mantle. From a business perspective, it would be a very shrewd move for AMD, and would allow them to shift from competing with Intel in the IPC department, to creating very specific gaming/multi-media only APU's in the future that could stand neck and neck with Intel for half the cost. If you also add AMD's recent ventures into the addition of ARM computing, they may have just secured a long term place for themselves.

chaosmassive

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
Huge gains on AMD CPUs. Well done AMD. Now just make a decent 65W CPU I can buy.
the improved in AMD only GPU area because of mantle supported games, thus decrease CPU task, and allow it perform another task.the AMD CPU performance never improved...

ramon zarat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
The good news in all this is my 4.7GHz 2500K will stay relevant for a long, long time... More than ever with Mantle and the eventual DX12, the GPU is *THE* bottleneck. Intel must be pissed, but strangely, AMD also kind of shooting themselves in the foot by making their API more CPU efficient resulting in longer refresh cycle for their CPU customers! For once, it's win-win for the customer: We get better frame rate and keep our CPU for a longer period of time.

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Reinforces the argument that the CPU continues to have less and less to do with gaming as new technologies begin to surface... You don't need the fastest CPU for a kick ass gaming machine, just a really good video card...

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Mantle only requires a Radeon card with GCN architecture (Radeon 7000 series and the new R7/R9 2xx series)Any CPU will work.
AMD said that Mantle could be refactored to work with non-AMD/ATI high end video cards... Interestingly, NVidia is jumping on support for DirectX 12 aka Mantle 2.0...

all stalked out

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Interested in an image quality comparison. Thanks!
+1
I think the huge performance difference with Mantle and AMD CPUs is more explainable that AMD was involved with the modifications, so they probably made optimizations for their CPU as well in the modified version unrelated to Mantle.
And this is exactly why companies like Nvidia and Intel will not support Mantle, Allowing a competition developed software like this isn't going to happen and that's also why it won't succeed, As soon as DX12 hit's and as long as it lives up to it's promises games developers who currently use it won't feel the need to continue unless paid to do so. It'll end up with a small install base. And whether a game uses it or not will have little relevance to gamers, All it's been good for is giving the DX team a kick up the butt.

Mahisse

Distinguished
Well Mantle is a flagship and a beginning, I don't expect it to take over the well established directX and I don't think that AMD expected that either. It can be a start for something bigger that can overtake/compete with DrectX for AMD users in the long run. It certainly has the potential. Either way it's a win-win for the consumer as DirectX developers are being pushed even further. So people bashing Mantle, whether they are Intel or AMD fanboys are really dumb.

jp182

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
There's something wrong with the charts. Low detail has lower FPS than normal.
because there are different cards involved
The newest drivers (14.2) also are helping the Kaveri APUs pretty dramatically, at least with regards to the A10-7850K... showed between 20% and 40% improvements in frame rates.
AMD A10-7850K Performance Optimized Catalyst 14.2 Driverfrom Benchmark Reviews- "Performance in Tomb Raider was increased by over 33%"- "Bioshock only gains about 20% performance" ('only' 20% :lol:)- "Battlefield 4 performance is increased by nearly 40%"

all stalked out

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013

I'm not bashing Mantle at all, It's done us a great service in that it has forced Microsoft to push DX development and provide low level access to developers. But the people who have spent the last several months raving about how it's going to take over from DX are going to be disappointed, Mantle works with less than half of the gpu market while DX because of it's age and near monopolised control in the past works with all of them. As soon as Mantle's API advantage is gone via DX 12's release there will be no need for games developers to use an extra api and the extra workload that includes, Remember Mantle can not be chosen as the only shader system API for a game but DX can. If (and it is an if, they could still mess it up) DX 12 removes the low level advantage Mantle has then Mantle may never even get as big a market share as Phys-x. Older games for example will never support Mantle yet I've lost count of how many times I've read posts on the net claiming there will be patches that add Mantle support to games like Bio-shock, Crysis 3, Metro and others. That's rubbish, Mantle has done it's thing and pushed Microsoft to provide LLA, We all owe AMD a thank's for that. but let's not kid ourselves or fall for the false hype a few seem to promote. Mantle was a good thing and it achieved a goal that will benefit us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.