[SOLVED] Things often forgotten before wiping your storage?

S.I.R.O.

Prominent
Aug 28, 2019
After 5 years, I'm replacing my PC. I plan to reuse my HDD(I also have a 1 TB 970 EVO SSD that will be used for my new build). A new build will require me to wipe my aforementioned HDD and therefore I want to make sure I don't wipe anything valuable. What are things you have thought you should have done before wiping your main storage device? Thanks!

Solution
I don't run into the 'wishing I still had it' issue because i just back it up first.
If you don't have a backup, then some things might be Email related stuff, website Passwords, Favorites, software Activation codes... this is aside from any docs, pics, music, & videos.

I also wouldn't wipe right away; leave it disconnected until after you get windows installed & updated. Then install your game launcher apps, such as Steam or Origin, and then you can copy the old library folder stuff back into the new SSD and save from redownloading it all. Normal apps, like Office, need to be installed all over again. You can just copy and paste them like (steam) games.
I usually keep all my data in one folder.....so I move that folder somewhere else and then partition and format the drive.

If you have files all over the place and aren't sure if you are going to miss something.....you could clone the whole drive and keep the clone somewhere until you are confident you won't need anything from it.

Reactions: S.I.R.O.

popatim

Titan
I don't run into the 'wishing I still had it' issue because i just back it up first.
If you don't have a backup, then some things might be Email related stuff, website Passwords, Favorites, software Activation codes... this is aside from any docs, pics, music, & videos.

I also wouldn't wipe right away; leave it disconnected until after you get windows installed & updated. Then install your game launcher apps, such as Steam or Origin, and then you can copy the old library folder stuff back into the new SSD and save from redownloading it all. Normal apps, like Office, need to be installed all over again. You can just copy and paste them like (steam) games.

Solution