Think I fried something help!

logan1310

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
I recently replaced the stock cooler in my month old computer I built with a better one for a little overclocking. I started the computer up and after making sure temps and such looked good I proceeded to use the auto overclock on amd overdrive, I thought surely that would be safe I've used it before started it up and not long after it crashed but that's normal I believe so I tried to start my computer back up and nothing happened, no fans, nothing, just a light on the case flashing. It didn't go away after a minute so I flipped the power supply switch off and back on, the power supply fans start for a split second than shut off. My question to you is where should I go from here and did I fry something. :( Thanks by the way the motherboard is a MSI 790fx and the processor is the AMD 965BE.

Try CLR_CMOS by finding those letters on your motherboard next to a 3-pin connector with a jumper connecting 2 of the pins. With the power OFF, move the jumper from the two pins it connects to the common (middle pin) and OTHER pin for for a few seconds. Then put the jumper back into its original position, connect the power cord, and re-start the computer.

aim001

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009

If that doesn't work u have fried ur mb not cpu, if u had fried ur cpu the computer starts anywayz and gives 3 beeps for hardware failure, have experienced same as u before!

xxenergyxx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Any updates on this from the original poster? I have the same CPU (Phenom II 965) and was planning to overclock through AMD overdrive or TurboV (which is included with ASUS m4a79xTD EVO mobo) and don't want this to happen to me to...

What are the reasons that the BIOS would be better to overclock than a supplied utliity with the mobo like AMD overdrive or TurboV? Especially to the inexperienced overclocker?

logan1310

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Yah Your probably right about it being the motherboard based on the situation. I've ran the auto overclock on the stock cooler with no problems before. Hmmm I also had one more fan plugged into the motherboard than before that's the only other thing I changed other than adding the Corsair H50 water cooler?

zerkerdude

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I'd check all connections. What kind of PSU are you using? Maybe adding the water cooler pump to the system was enough to overload it?????? And using Bios is much easier than that software crap very easy with the 965.

slo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
To me it sounds like a clear CMOS would solve the problem. The CMOS should automatically clear itself after a few consicutive restarts when the system fails to post. If not manually clear the CMOS using the onboard pins (or button if available). I dont think you can "fry someting" with ANY settings, usually it takes a good short-circuit to fry a motherboard.

try unpluging the motherboard 24pin cable and short the CMOS pins.
It should solve the problem

logan1310

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010

I tried shorting the CMOS pins to no avail, I'm actually in the process of RMAing the motherboard to MSI for repair. There's one light on the motherboard so some power is getting from the power supply and when I turn it on the led lights on my fans flick on for a split second but then nothing. I've had power supplies go bad before it should do something if that was the case. Could I have possibly short circuited the motherboard fan headers with the extra draw from extra fans than before?

aim001

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009

Ok if ur mb is MSI im 100% sure u fried it, because my last mb was MSI and i fried it by oc! And i had the same experience as u too! Soo i guess u have to show it to the shop for refund. I recommend u to buy asus. Its the best mb