[SOLVED] Thinking about getting an SSD... need suggestions!

Ryan0710

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017
Hello all, I have had my build for a couple of years now, and because i only have a normal, cheap seagate hdd, I experience very slow boot up times for windows and slow start timing when playing my games. If i was to get an ssd for my OS to boot up quicker and maybe to boot up one or 2 of my games that way, would a 500gb ssd be suitable? or what if i just did my OS? Or would a 1tb be the best? i am fine with having most of my games on the hdd and only one or 2 on the ssd with the OS, and everything else on the hdd... would putting the OS on the ssd include quicker moviung of files, etc? lastly, depending on if i need a 500gb or 1tb, which is the best way to go? sata, m.2, or nvme? Thank you!

Ryan0710

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017
You motherboard supports M.2 drives too (both sata and nvme).
So you can have state of the art Samsung 970 evo too.

It all depends on your budget.
How much are you willing to spend?
I was thinking because my build isnt too high end or anything, i was thinking around $70-80. I was looking and found this, but not sure if theres better options out there... Amazon.com: SK hynix Gold P31 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen3 M.2 2280 Internal SSD - up to 3500MB/s: Computers & Accessories
or
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-...eywords=samsung+970+evo&qid=1603119323&sr=8-7

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Honestly, I would, if you can swing it, recommend a 1TB SSD. My son and I did the 500GB SSD coupled with a larger capacity HDD, and, while useful, the limit in the SSD would become troublesome. Admittedly, more quickly for my son than for myself - he likes his games to load fast, and he'd have to do housekeeping/space-management on the SSD fairly often.

Ryan0710

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017
Honestly, I would, if you can swing it, recommend a 1TB SSD. My son and I did the 500GB SSD coupled with a larger capacity HDD, and, while useful, the limit in the SSD would become troublesome. Admittedly, more quickly for my son than for myself - he likes his games to load fast, and he'd have to do housekeeping/space-management on the SSD fairly often.
okay, that makes sense

NoFaultius

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
This is cool to see. There is no single computer upgrade that will make a bigger difference to the user experience than going from a mechanical hard drive to a M2 SSD. Definitely get the M2 NVME drive. The Samsung Evo is super fast and reliable. 500GB should be enough if you also keep your old hard drive as a storage drive. Once you do this, you will never be able to use a PC with a mechanical hard rive again. Congrats!

Reactions: Ryan0710

Ryan0710

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017
This is cool to see. There is no single computer upgrade that will make a bigger difference to the user experience than going from a mechanical hard drive to a M2 SSD. Definitely get the M2 NVME drive. The Samsung Evo is super fast and reliable. 500GB should be enough if you also keep your old hard drive as a storage drive. Once you do this, you will never be able to use a PC with a mechanical hard rive again. Congrats!
agreed! i keep hearing from friends and family the difference is incredible with load times, as im so used to the slow boot times from my hard drive.

Flashgo1

Reputable
Mar 11, 2016
7 year old laptop. took 45 seconds from power button to be ready to use. after ssd upgrade.8 seconds. you will never look back.

unless you know a lot about raid and have lots of spinners laying around to do crazy stuff with.

Reactions: Ryan0710

Ryan0710

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017
7 year old laptop. took 45 seconds from power button to be ready to use. after ssd upgrade.8 seconds. you will never look back.

unless you know a lot about raid and have lots of spinners laying around to do crazy stuff with. I can’t wait to get one
any m.2 drive I get will boot up somewhat as fast as that? That’s crazy. It takes minimum a minute or so for me to boot up and even longer for my application to be ready to use.

Mike2009

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I agree with others that 500gb to 1tb is the best way to go ,, and From personal experience dont go for the cheapest one i bought a Crucial bx500 im not happy with its performance fluctuates (or as i like to call it its a moody **