[SOLVED] Thinking about upgrading to newer PC

Oct 29, 2020
Hey folks
I am thinking about upgrading my PC. This is going to be my general usage and gaming build. Mostly gaming.

I am little behind with the newest tech.
I have a general idea on what I want but not sure exactly what to get.

currently i am using the following:
I7 4790k Devil’s Canyon
MSI Z97 Game 5 as MOBO
DDR 3 32gb
EVGA GTX 980ti AIO hybrid
Seagate 4TB hybrid drive

monitors:
Acer Predator x34p as main monitor
AOC 29 inch as aux monitor

I don't really care about RGB or color scheme.

I may consider getting another x34p later on.

I am not sure if going AMD or Intel will be a netter route. They both have new tech just releasing.

I am not planning on picking up the parts until end of the this year or even into Jan or Feb of 2021. I supposed i can pick up as if they are on sale. I am not in a rush at the moment.

Here is what i am thinking

Option 1
Intel and Nvidia

NZXT Kraken x53 as AIO cooler
~$130 or other AIO cooler within price point

Win X Pro
~$140

G Skill Rip Saw V 32gb 3600 (2x 16gb)
~$140

MSI MAG z490 Tomahawk as MOBO
~$190

i7 10700k
~$377

RTX 3080
~$750

Sandisk Plus SSD 2TB
~$190 or any other 2TB SSD

overall the cost will be around $1917USD
Assuming i get it from Amazon i get cash back of 5%. Thats about $95USD back.

Option 2
Team Red

same as above with different CPU, GPU and MOBO.

MSI MPG X570 MOBO
~$160

Ryzen 5800 X
~$450

RX 6800 XT
~$650

Option 2 will cost $1860USD. With Amazon i get back about $93 back. Option 2 is little cheaper compare to Option 1.

cost wise they are not too far off.
i am plan on recycling my case and my PSU.
I have Corsair 1200 W gold PSU and Corsair 540 high airflow case.

i guess what will give me the most bang for my bucks.

Solution
My suggestion is before making any decision wait until we get all the performance specification and reviews on the ryzen 5000 series and the new AMD cards,,, the RTX 3070 is still the best priced GPU out of the bunch (good luck trying to get one right now though lol , DO NOT BUY OFF EBAY SCALPERS! ) but that if AMD is accurate can keep up with a RTX 3080 but if team Red is working as well as AMD says it will with Rage and all that other gimmick named stuff they talked about in the announcement its a pro to go team red
D

Deleted member 1560910

After looking at your current rig i would say just add another 980ti and you basically getting 2080 super performance. Just a thought

if you are going with a 10700k i would go with the MSI board go with the gigabyte they are doing some great things with Vrm Cooling

Oct 29, 2020
After looking at your current rig i would say just add another 980ti and you basically getting 2080 super performance. Just a thought

if you are going with a 10700k i would go with the MSI board go with the gigabyte they are doing some great things with Vrm Cooling

i am trying to stay away from SLI setup. I recall having issues with drivers when i had 580 classified in SLI set up. And i think Nvidia is slowly drifting away from SLI.
I would also think that its another load on the PSU.

Mike2009

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
My suggestion is before making any decision wait until we get all the performance specification and reviews on the ryzen 5000 series and the new AMD cards,,, the RTX 3070 is still the best priced GPU out of the bunch (good luck trying to get one right now though lol , DO NOT BUY OFF EBAY SCALPERS! ) but that if AMD is accurate can keep up with a RTX 3080 but if team Red is working as well as AMD says it will with Rage and all that other gimmick named stuff they talked about in the announcement its a pro to go team red

Solution
Oct 29, 2020
Getting any new card at launch is going to be pain. I refuse to buy it from 2ndary market as its criminally over priced. I dont want to encourage that price gouging. Since i am not in a rush, i can wait. I cant wait for reviewers to get their hand on the new cards and benchmark it.