Question Thinkpad not recognizing keyboard and mouse through USB KVM switch

Aug 5, 2021
Thinkpad T440s on Windows 7 Pro, does not recognize USB keyboard and mouse, when connected through a USB KVM switch. Would love help from someone who has solved this!
Details:
  • thinkpad DOES recognize the mouse and keyboard when connected directly (=> assuming it isn't a lack of mouse/keyboard drivers)
  • A windows 10 PC DOES recognize the mouse and keyboard VIA switch (=> assuming the switch isn't a total dud)
  • according to manufacturer the switch works with windows 7
What should I check? Does the thinkpad need some sort of driver to work with a kvm switch?
TIA!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you please parse a link to the KVM switch in question? Also, while you're here, check and see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates. You can use this site, pair it with your laptop's serial number and see what comes up in their support listings in terms of BIOS and driver updates.

Aug 24, 2021
Hmm I have something similar (IOGear GUS432), but I have seen videos for your model. I don't believe there are any special drivers, should just be plug and play. I would suspect problem with wireless peripherals but not wired on.
Have you connected the external power?
Can you confirm that your computer recognizes the kvm device?
Have you tried the kvm on a different computer?
Are you using any adapters to your computer?
If none of those work, unplug all peripherals, restart pc, plug kvm and then keyboard and test and then mouse and test.
Might also just be a faulty unit.