Question Third monitor not getting display...

hunterstacy

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019
I just got a third monitor with HDMI port. I have two other monitors plugged into my 3060 in the DVI and HDMI ports. So I went to bestbuy and got a HDMI to DP cord and it is not working. I have power in my monitor just no display.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, DVI, wouldn't have expected that. My guess would be that the DVI port is shared with one of the DP or HDMI ports.

Which specific card?

Stock (normal) 3060 should have 1x DP and 3 HDMI and support 4 display outputs.

If you have a DVI port, DP, and HDMI then it would be up to the card maker how they implemented it, it was very common for previous gen cards to have DVI, DP, and 2 HDMI and would only allow three at a time. If they used a previous board design and only updated what was necessary to accommodate the new GPU, then it could still be that way for some cards.

Last edited:

hunterstacy

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019
Hmm, DVI, wouldn't have expected that. My guess would be that the DVI port is shared with one of the DP or HDMI ports.

Which specific card?

Stock (normal) 3060 should have 1x DP and 3 HDMI and support 4 display outputs.

If you have a DVI port, DP, and HDMI then it would be up to the card maker how they implemented it, it was very common for previous gen cards to have DVI, DP, and 2 HDMI and would only allow three at a time. If they used a previous board design and only updated what was necessary to accommodate the new GPU, then it could still be that way for some cards.
I should be able to send you a picture of the back of my GPU to show you what I am talking about. Unless I am flat out blind I do not see multiple HDMI ports.

hunterstacy

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019
I have got my third new monitor to be detected by my PC in my display settings and in NVIDIA control panel but for some reason the display of the monitor is not showing. I can move my mouse up to the monitor where it is on the screen but cannot see with no display.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Okay, I am more confused now. Not sure where DVI came into this.

All four ports should be active, no concern there. I guess the question is, what monitors?

Are you still using a DP -> HDMI cable? Could just get a display port cable if one of the monitors is happy with that. Or three HDMI if they all have that.

I'm a little worried you are running some of the adapter cables backwards. They are intended to to convert FROM the display output and TO the display, not the other way around.