This cpu is not supported by this mode please check cpu qvl on asus

Danijel Djordjevic

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
hello guys. i bought yesterday motherboard asus m5a78L-MLX3, and processor amd fx 8350 8core, and in bios got msg: This cpu is not supported by this mode please check cpu qvl on asus. when i try to start win normally i got some crash (blue screen...). only can run in safe mode. i have 2x 4gb memory, in properties got 8gb (3.50gb usable). what is the problem? thanks and sorry for bad english :)

I think you have three problems.

One, the M5A78L-MLX3 only supports 95 watt CPUs and your FX-8350 is a 125 watt chip. I would not run the FX-8350 on that board since the CPU draws quite a bit more amperage than the board and its VRMs can supply. At best you might shorten the life of the board as you will cause the VRMs to run hot and shorten their lifespan. You might also end up with a lot of voltage drop which can cause system instability/crashes. Worst case scenario is the VRMs fail violently and fry the board and CPU. I'd swap the 8350 for a 95-watt FX-8300 (which is supported by that board) or swap the board for one that supports 125 watt CPUs.

Two, it sounds like you possibly put a new motherboard in an existing Windows system without reinstalling the OS. That is a recipe for a lot of blue screens and such as Windows is not designed to handle a large change in drivers without a reinstall.

Three, it sounds like you have a 32-bit version of Windows. 32 bit Windows only supports 4 GB of RAM maximum. The other "missing" 512 MB of RAM is due to your chipset's integrated graphics reserving some of the RAM for itself. You will need to run a 64-bit OS to use more than 3.something GB of your memory.