This Internal SSD Connects Via 10-Pin USB Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj1001

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
[citation][nom]JasonAkkerman[/nom]Sooo... it's a glorified flash drive? That you cant remove?(easily)[/citation]

yep

krotkdm

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Hmmm, is it MBs or mbs?

Per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_rate_units, 'b' stands for 'bit' and 'B' stands for 'byte'. However, it has been suggested that 'bit' should not be abbreviated since it's already an abbreviation for "binary digit", and the difference between bit and byte can lead to confusion. In the context of data rate units, one byte refers to 8 bits.

According to the manufacturer's website, MBytes/sec

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
You are all looking at this the wrong way. This is a solution for kiosks that might normally use Compact Flash plugged directly into an IDE (PATA) port. Since IDE is going the way of the Dodo, vendors need other solutions for small, reliable storage. Since I don't think any existing flash solution utilizes the SATA protocol (CF natively used IDE), this is a viable solution for people looking to update their systems.

Oh crap, I guess I missed the very last line. If this is for kiosks, why are they selling it at Walmart?

Ok, new solution. This is for Windows Readyboost. I mean, I have an old 2GB flash drive sticking out the back of my computer for just this purpose. It might be nice (if the price is right) to instead house that flash drive internally where it wasn't at risk of falling out or breaking off. Yeah, that sounds reasonable.

G

This would be twice as cool if it just plugged directly into a SATA port instead.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
I don't get something here: it it connects to a 10-pin connector on the Motherboard, it means it's effectively occupying 2 usb headers.

In that case, why does it only have the performance of a single connection (30mb/s) ?

I was expecting something that could use the two ports together like some kind of RAID and speed up the reading and writing process. Like it is, it's just a high quality usb pen with differet contacts, but taking up twice the hearders without any performance improvment. I'll pass that.

G

Why is this news exactly? There were at least three companies that made it to market with these back when Vista came out for Readyboost. I'm pretty sure Tom covered them then.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]tpi2007[/nom]I don't get something here: it it connects to a 10-pin connector on the Motherboard, it means it's effectively occupying 2 usb headers...[/citation]

Good point

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Anyone who thinks permanently attached USB storage devices are a good idea has not a good understanding of how USB works or has something to sell you.

Sure, I want my primary storage device on a hub with my mouse, keyboard, color calibrator, printer, headset, and ipod so when one of those devices cause the USB bus to hang I'll lose any and all cached writes. /hurrr

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Even though it use two USB, think of situation where you want to boot from it. It can't be in RAID mode. My guess is that it must be two separate drives, one for OS and one for storage. So you only get up to 30 MB/s.

Gandalf

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
If a motherboard pin has for some reason been bent, I see a troubleshooting issue.
Pins connected to individual socket connectors minimize the connectivity issue.
To me, this sounds like a workaround to someones poorly thought out idea.
One step forward, two steps back.

Status
Not open for further replies.