Question This is hard work.... help

Sep 30, 2021
So my Son was given a desktop computer. I asked around on this site on another thread about budget options for him to upgrade this PC to do a little gaming....
This is what we now have
  1. The motherboard is an MSI H61M-P20(G3) with an i5-3470 @ 3.2GHz CPU. (LGA1155)
  2. We just bought some RAM and now maxed it out at 16GB (2x8GB) 1600mhz (Running at 1333mhz)
  3. We were going to get a GT1030 GPU, but were given a vast array of other options including the Geforce GTX900 series. - So we picked up a second hand Geforce GTX 970.
  4. Power supply is 500W
Here's the issue - the Graphics card just MONSTERS everything and interferes with the SATA ports and Wifi port on the graphics card.....

I just cant see how it will fit? What am I to do, he has spent all his pocket money and we can't fit it together....

ANYONE got some sensible options?

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021
The power supply is an "INWIN A55 550Watt" unit.

When I attempt to insert the graphics card, it hits the Leads coming from the SATA ports, and also fouls against the Plug in Wifi module.
I can't physically plug the Graphics card in without removing the hard drives and wifi....

If you look up an image of the motherboard, you'll see where the SATA ports are located is in the path of the GPU card.

From my limited PC ability, I believe this is an ATX case (Huntkey)
and the Motherboard is M-ATX. The PC is a hand-me-down, so someone built it.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Can you show a picture of your GPU installed or trying to be installed? We only know what you can either show us or describe to us. But the GPU shouldn't be rising much above the slot; it's primarily below.

maxresdefault.jpg

Again, this is another place that specificity would be highly useful. "GTX 970" doesn't tell anyone about the physical specifications of the specific GTX 970, of which there are hundreds.

The PSU isn't very good, but that's a longer-term problem rather than this one.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The power supply is an "INWIN A55 550Watt" unit.

When I attempt to insert the graphics card, it hits the Leads coming from the SATA ports, and also fouls against the Plug in Wifi module.
I can't physically plug the Graphics card in without removing the hard drives and wifi....

If you look up an image of the motherboard, you'll see where the SATA ports are located is in the path of the GPU card.

From my limited PC ability, I believe this is an ATX case (Huntkey)
and the Motherboard is M-ATX. The PC is a hand-me-down, so someone built it.
Their 2 SATA ports at the bottom of the board and you can remove the WIFI card if it's in the X1 PCI-E slot and it blocks the video card.

Reactions: kiwiinmelbourne
So my Son was given a desktop computer. I asked around on this site on another thread about budget options for him to upgrade this PC to do a little gaming....
This is what we now have
  1. The motherboard is an MSI H61M-P20(G3) with an i5-3470 @ 3.2GHz CPU. (LGA1155)
  2. We just bought some RAM and now maxed it out at 16GB (2x8GB) 1600mhz (Running at 1333mhz)
  3. We were going to get a GT1030 GPU, but were given a vast array of other options including the Geforce GTX900 series. - So we picked up a second hand Geforce GTX 970.
  4. Power supply is 500W
Here's the issue - the Graphics card just MONSTERS everything and interferes with the SATA ports and Wifi port on the graphics card.....

I just cant see how it will fit? What am I to do, he has spent all his pocket money and we can't fit it together....

ANYONE got some sensible options?
You can purchase SATA cables with 90 degree angled connectors that may allow you to use your GPU and SATA ports.
You can also purchase a USB Wifi adapter that will allow you to remove your current Wifi card that is presumably plugged into your motherboard's PCI-E X1 slot.

Alternatively, you can purchase a single-slot GPU instead of your presumed dual-slot GPU.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021
Can you show a picture of your GPU installed or trying to be installed? We only know what you can either show us or describe to us. But the GPU shouldn't be rising much above the slot; it's primarily below.

maxresdefault.jpg

Again, this is another place that specificity would be highly useful. "GTX 970" doesn't tell anyone about the physical specifications of the specific GTX 970, of which there are hundreds.

The PSU isn't very good, but that's a longer-term problem rather than this one.
Ok ,thanks,
How do I add my photo's to my next post?