This is the Windows 8 Welcome and Lock Screen

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]delazaren[/nom]Relax guys, the image is changeable and what's wrong with adding a few extra bits on the welcome screen like date and time? Your uber CPU and uber GPU won't sweat over it. I assume of course that we'll be able to get the standard login prompt though... :)[/citation]

Lies mah GPU's will the burn and den burn mah house down! especially that pic! it'll do it!

alexcheng

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Guys this isn't that bad! You spend like what, one minute everyday on this screen? Why all the whining and complaining?! Besides, if it's the background image that's bothering you, you could always change it to fit your own taste!

G

Why you would not want the date and time on the lock screen is beyond me. What, are you people stupid or something?

Also, as a SysAdmin I'll tell you that the idea of 5000 PC's running "particle effects" for the casual observer sounds like the worst idea I've ever heard of in terms of energy efficiency.

It's sad what passes for a "techie" nowadays.

G

Way to STEAL this from Paul Thurrott/Rafael Rivera and not include the link. Nice job robbing them blind and selling it as your own

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Knowing Microsoft since the beginning, i bet Win8 will be a bad user experience compared to the awesome Windows 7 (best OS to date if you ask me).

Pretty much every other Windows have been a poor experience (95, ME, Vista) while every other have been good (98, Xp, Win7). So i don't hold my breath for this one.

My guess is that MS is experimenting on purpose (new driver model ect) every other and if it backfires it won't do too much harm as they still have the previous good OS in place and will be at its end when the windows after the bad one comes booming the sales.

Quite clever if you think about it!

[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Knowing Microsoft since the beginning, i bet Win8 will be a bad user experience compared to the awesome Windows 7 (best OS to date if you ask me).Pretty much every other Windows have been a poor experience (95, ME, Vista) while every other have been good (98, Xp, Win7). So i don't hold my breath for this one.My guess is that MS is experimenting on purpose (new driver model ect) every other and if it backfires it won't do too much harm as they still have the previous good OS in place and will be at its end when the windows after the bad one comes booming the sales.Quite clever if you think about it![/citation]

Yes this is known as the every other theorem. I developed it, so stop stealing from me! ;)

Marcus Yam

Splendid
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]WowThatsBold[/nom]Way to STEAL this from Paul Thurrott/Rafael Rivera and not include the link. Nice job robbing them blind and selling it as your own[/citation]
Not true. You must have missed the hyperlink situated right above the image.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Looks like a late April Fools to me. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but there's something about that date that just screams April Fools.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
if the welcome and lock screen is the only news worthy item from windows 8, i'll just have to squeeze out all the cents from windows 7.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]frustratedwithyouall[/nom]Why you would not want the date and time on the lock screen is beyond me. What, are you people stupid or something?Also, as a SysAdmin I'll tell you that the idea of 5000 PC's running "particle effects" for the casual observer sounds like the worst idea I've ever heard of in terms of energy efficiency.It's sad what passes for a "techie" nowadays.[/citation]

...and surely as 'admin', you'd know that you can turn that feature off, just as you can turn off aero. (Also admin)

G

@rantoc

You really can't call ME a bad experience, it's much closer to a dying experience, happens only once and then promptly cremated then buried never to be seen ever again, i can not speak of the trauma ME has inflicted upon me.......

G

After all of this time and Microsoft still cannot figure out how to replace the "CTRL+ALT+DEL" keys for log in!? Have they seen the iPad at all; no wonder Apple is eating their lunch. And what is that urgly display background?

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
WTF! You idiots do realize that the image is one of the included wallpapers included with windows 7 right, and most likely IS NOT going to be included in 8.
Name ANY other version of windows that reuses wallpapers from the previous version.
What a bunch of stupid ignorant a-holes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS