This is the Windows 8 Welcome and Lock Screen

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
C-A-D to LOG back on?

Not even Windows7 does that, you hit ENTER or press the icon and enter you password.

C-A-D is so.... sooooo... 1984.

Typical stupdity of Microsoft. While this is a "preview" whatever, a company like Apple would never EVER put something this stupid in beta or testing.

To those who say "whats the big deal, it takes a second"... This NEW log-on screen may end up being used 10-20 times a day, if the computer is set to go to that screen after 15min of inactivity or whatever. So its a two-handed stupid step that is simply not needed.

Clicking anywhere on the screen SHOULD wake up the computer or moving the mouse will bring up the user icons / password box... anything but this MS-DOS throw-back.

carlhenry

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
but isn't that man a wallpaper from win7?
jeeez. people "panicking" and getting the
"i'm cool i don't want that it sucks" blabber.

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]WTF! You idiots do realize that the image is one of the included wallpapers included with windows 7 right, and most likely IS NOT going to be included in 8.Name ANY other version of windows that reuses wallpapers from the previous version.What a bunch of stupid ignorant a-holes![/citation]

YOU IS LYING!!

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
People need to stop freaking out about a changeable login screen (though unfortunately you need a third-party tool to change the login screen in Windows 7). Windows 8 is looking like it's going to be a dual-boot system for me. Windows 8 for media- Windows 7 for gaming. Except for the login screen picture currently shown I actually like the Login Screen as it is for 8.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]C-A-D to LOG back on?Not even Windows7 does that, you hit ENTER or press the icon and enter you password.C-A-D is so.... sooooo... 1984. Typical stupdity of Microsoft. While this is a "preview" whatever, a company like Apple would never EVER put something this stupid in beta or testing.To those who say "whats the big deal, it takes a second"... This NEW log-on screen may end up being used 10-20 times a day, if the computer is set to go to that screen after 15min of inactivity or whatever. So its a two-handed stupid step that is simply not needed.Clicking anywhere on the screen SHOULD wake up the computer or moving the mouse will bring up the user icons / password box... anything but this MS-DOS throw-back.[/citation]
Windows 7, Vista and XP also uses C-A-D when it's joined to a domain (you can turn it on even without being in a domain). Perhaps this login screen is perhaps from a computer joined to a domain.

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
The date and time are superfluous. I can pretty much guarantee that if I have enough time to check my computer for the date and time, I can log on and look at the taskbar, thank you very much. What do they expect? If I'm writing a paper and need to check the date I lock my computer? Yeah, no.

Marthian

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
man just looking at these comments make me cry. Seriously, if you didn't even notice
The background image is one of the pieces of artwork included in Windows 7. The actual image is changeable, but what is said to be set is the time, date, power controls and ease of access.
thats just sad, really sad you guys can't read. I'm all for the time and media control on a lock screen (although I never visit it at all.), and yeah control+alt+delete is probably because of how the network is set up in their testing area. I remember doing the same thing on every other operating system.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]JamesNW[/nom]After all of this time and Microsoft still cannot figure out how to replace the "CTRL+ALT+DEL" keys for log in!? Have they seen the iPad at all; no wonder Apple is eating their lunch. And what is that urgly display background?[/citation]
When was the last time you actually used a windows computer? I've installed XP, Win7 Pro x64, Win7 Home Prem x64, and Win7 Home Prem x86 in the past year and NOT ONCE did the OS default to forcing you to press CTRL+ALT+DELETE.

The only times I've actually encountered that requirement is on professional computers (Government, business).

G

well, in Ubuntu you just type the password and hit enter : Done! Winduh (n micro$ft) is sooooooo lame...

G

Nice April Fails, Tom's. You can't post an April Fools 4 DAYS AFTER April Fools.

scazbala86

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
[citation][nom]frustratedwithyouall[/nom]Why you would not want the date and time on the lock screen is beyond me.[/citation]

I agree, especially when it comes to tablet PCs. In fact I saw add a subtle, non obtrusive weather widget. Maybe even allow for "lock screen gadgets" like an RSS feed viewer, or something like that. The question should be, why completely log in to your PC if you don't have to, all of the information you need could be on the lock screen. Just an idea. Aside from all that, they ought to at least make the font/color/size of the stuff on the lock screen customizable.

G

This tells us nothing - a simple software update could add the date and time to windows 7 lock screen. Microsoft don't have the same drive that took them from basic to windows. Most of the software changes in the last few os have been cosmetic at best.

THEfog101

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
Seriously Toms, this is a bloody joke with this ratings system being down for forever and a day. Fix this up so we can remove tard-ass posts from sight.

Here is a prime example of a tard post which could be removed with the wonders of down-rating

[citation][nom]JamesNW[/nom]After all of this time and Microsoft still cannot figure out how to replace the "CTRL+ALT+DEL" keys for log in!? Have they seen the iPad at all; no wonder Apple is eating their lunch. And what is that urgly display background?[/citation]

And here is another

[citation][nom]webs1987[/nom]well, in Ubuntu you just type the password and hit enter : Done! Winduh (n micro$ft) is sooooooo lame...[/citation]

hmmm whats this........ oh look, yet another one

[citation][nom]frustratedwithyouall[/nom]Why you would not want the date and time on the lock screen is beyond me. What, are you people stupid or something?Also, as a SysAdmin I'll tell you that the idea of 5000 PC's running "particle effects" for the casual observer sounds like the worst idea I've ever heard of in terms of energy efficiency.It's sad what passes for a "techie" nowadays.[/citation]

And to finish off with a grand finale "I post before reading or using upper brain function"

[citation][nom]WowThatsBold[/nom]Way to STEAL this from Paul Thurrott/Rafael Rivera and not include the link. Nice job robbing them blind and selling it as your own[/citation]

i dont know what you guys are doing back there in bloody Never Land but it isn't very difficult to fix a ratings system, or put spam filters in place, or have competitions in countries outside the US (America isn't the only country to have the internet you know right?) or is it that much to ask to be rid of full page ads? Seriously toms, you loyal reader base is only going to tolerate so much before leaving.

G

The internet is now 80% full of trolls while 20% are the ones who knows what could happen/change.
Use your brains.

Windows 8 is begining to look like it's improving very well.
I don't give a rats A that the background looks crap. As most people say here, IT'S CHANGEABLE!!!!

G

It clearly looks like Microsoft is preparing another flop OS as they didn't learn any lesson from Vista... borrowing things from windows phone for win8? from another flop OS??? how pathetic is that??
those management guys at Microsoft can't be more miserable, they're taking down the colossal image of Microsoft, and shamelessly trying to guarantee the 2nd position on market afterall...

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I hope they take their time bringing in the new operating system & think of these pictures real carefully,because I doubt whether I will be buying any operating system with these type of pictures to represent the new cloud based idea's that microsoft has in mind for us...Also why don't they just keep windows XP & bring in a retail boxed x64 bit version for all of us that don't like these new idea's of their's...

G

Settle down guys, this is just immersiveshell for there tablet computers, not the desktop ui. If you want a glimpse of what the desktop ui will look like, look for the aerolite win 8 leaks or hell, jsut take a look at ie9, thats what it will look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.