this is weird..crashman pls help

G

well i am not trying to get attention here but i followed crashman's advice and upgraded to a PIII 700 using my Asus P2B motherboard and it works. Thanks...

now I have another computer with the exact same specs P2B also.. and i upgraded it to Celeron 1000 Mhz.. Well when my comps is doing the POST, it appears to be Pentium III 1000 Mhz and I flashed my BIOS from 1.03 to 1.12 the latest from Asus before I install the processor. after the POST it went into the part Starting Windows 98.. I read a message saying the CPU is differnet type ID error and update not supported something like that. When I am in Windows, I get a BSOD..
and when i want to play my mp3s or anything related to sounds.. BSOD appears. I suspect my sound card has conflict with it? but why?Everything is workign fine cept the sound and the processor shown is a PIII not a celeron. Maybe because intel released celeron 800 and above early this year and the flash is last updated the year 2000 around march or april.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
checkout the Asus techref pages, and try flashing just the BIOS that supported the processor. sometimes the latest one isnt the best.

the BIOS is confused about the processor, so maybe they will make a newer version that will work. wait for it!

as for the sound related problems, the card itself is bad or the drivers arent right. disable or remove the card and check the system.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

G

Ok.. I just emailed Asus technical support and it says that PCB rev of 1.12 and above only supports Celeron 900 and 1000.

Mine is a PCB rev of 1.03 and I flashed it to 1.12. I just bought myself a Celeron 800 and return the Celeron 1000 and it still ain't working!

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, I have their techref downloaded and it says the same thing! try flashing an earlier version of the BIOS.

It doesnt know a Celeron 1000 so it says its a P-III!

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

the PCB revision is hardware. You can't change that. Buying the same board will however.

Flash the bios to the earliest version that is supported the your motherboard revision.

Your confused between PCB revision and BIOS version. PCB is hardware version of the given motherboard. BIOS version is just that the BIOS.

So find a bios for your motherboard revision and flash it with that and it should work. It still not working because you flashed the bios with the wrong version.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Damn dude. Damn the "CPU not recongized" error, it should still work. Try putting your PIII 700 on it and see if it still has problems, I think it's something else.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

argh damn it. I just emailed Asus tech support. Yeah now i am clear about the PCB and BIOS version. Asus tech support says that my 1.03 PCB rev only supports Celeron 533 and PII 600 SECC2 max. I bet my other computer which is using PIII 700 is on a rev 1.12 P2B.