This Is What 60 FPS Video Looks Like On YouTube

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soldier45

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
Now if only they will allow this on the mobile version of YouTube. I would be complete with 60fps @ native 1440p on my Note 4.

TechnoD

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
Anyone else here getting infinite buffer at 720p or higher with firefox?
If this is working as intended I will be sorely disappointed with google. Many users, myself included, prefer firefox over chrome, and I really don't want to switch browsers whenever I want to watch youtube with any decent level of quality.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
youtube and 60fps will not happen till there is a better codec, i'm looking at the videos and i see ghosting in the 60fps... disappointing really that they don't want to double the file size for doubling the "quality"

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
YouTube had 60fps support for a period of time in 2008 before they removed the feature. So I'm not sure why they require Chrome to make it work again.

leeb2013

Honorable
oh the irony is so painful. Whilst PC games are being limited to 30fps to apparently look more realistic and because no-one can tell the difference (and most definitely not to make PC gaming look as bad as console gaming), the small upstart company called Youtube is enabling 60fps videos because they are smoother!!

vdraconus

Reputable
Jun 28, 2014
For me, the one thing that usually stands out about 60fps vids is that 60fps seems to provide more noticable depth clarity. If that can be understood.

Durandul

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
That moment when you're playing on a 144fps monitor, you think you're looking at 30fps, pop open the frame counter: 65fps. Damn, I feel spoiled.

JSC_Tom

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
To anyone saying "the human eyes can't see past 24 fps", please, have your eyes fixed AND your knowledge updated, because you are misinforming people and you are proven wrong in 10 seconds of watching a comparative video.

The effect is actually quite more perceptible than I first imagined. Wow.

Yes, a lot of people got confused somewhere along the way with "24 fps is the rate at which our brain perceives separate images as motion" and turned it into "the human eyes can't see past 24 fps".

jazzedan

Reputable
Oct 31, 2014
wow, the timing couldn't be more perfect. Hopefully with more and more gamers uploading their gameplay at 60fps, more "next-gen" console users realise how small their little bubble really is.

takmaze

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Not sure why they're saying it needs Chrome, any HTML5 browser should do. I just tried it in Internet Explorer and it worked right off the bat.

takmaze

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010

Then you're doing something wrong.

zS48x1x.png

TNel

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014
I'm not going to lie I really can't see the difference even when they are side by side. Not sure if it's my eyes or what but for me they were the same.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
The 30fps looked way more natural and controlled. 60fps just looked like faster but not necessarily "smoother". It looked unnatural like the video was sped up. It's not worth the extra bandwidth if u ask me

Jim90

Distinguished
Think of FPS in the following way:-

For a fixed resolution e.g. 1080p imagine a missile moving left to right across the screen. Imagine it always takes 5 seconds to go from left edge to right edge (irrespective of resolution).
Now factor in the game designer's FPS limits...

Let's say we have 2 scenarios: one at 30fps (ubisoft?) and one at 60fps.

Think of FPS as the number of graphical updates a game can make (that the viewer can perceive) in one second. Imagine that these updates involve moving this missile.

Question: which scenario will appear smoother?

Hint: imagine that the FPS was reduced to 10 (10 frames per second) in scenario one and 120 in scenario two.

By reducing the FPS (screen draws in 1 second) you are directly affecting how smooth any movement appears - video, animation, etc.

Anyone still support 30fps (or 24)?

Status
Not open for further replies.