This Is What 60 FPS Video Looks Like On YouTube

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

R3v07v3R

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014
There is a reason that averages like 1080p and 30fps have been around for so long.

Most people can not notice a difference in anything higher since they just aren't trained to see it.

The same applies to sound - such as an MP3 @ 128bit where the quality is hugely reduced and yet it is still the global standard for music sharing since it's size is so small and most people yet again can not notice a difference unless trained.

However having said that - There are many people who do notice the difference and since they can notice it they strive to look for the better quality material.
I think this is where the market will open up - Enthusiasts! In their respective fields of course.

I for instance am a gamer - so I pay attention to changes in the picture more closely than a regular movie watcher and there for I have a 144Hz Monitor - the difference from 30 to 60 fps was easyly noticeable to me and much more enjoyable. MUCH!

So a few people here admit they honestly don't see the difference and they get down-voted? Why? You think they're lying? Hey, some people don't notice it much. Just like some people are tone deaf or can't tell a .5 dB tone difference.

To anyone saying they can't see the difference, make sure you're actually viewing the 60 fps video. By default you'll be looking at the 480p video. You need to change the settings to watch the 720p60. Look at takmaze's screenshot if you need to.

jdmac44

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2014
This gives the same effect that TruMotion 120 Hz does for HDTV, to me it makes things look fake, cartoonish. Which I know sounds silly along with this example clip, but even animation looks more cartoonish, but it does the same for video as well. Everyone has their own taste, this one isn't mine.

Rodeo-Ranger

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
Well I am an avid computer user , i make videos on a weekly basis and spend 10 hours a day usinf all kinds of Multimedia. Why anyone would put up with Internet Explorer crashing every 2 minutes and no back button that works , or , Firefox not being able to load video period is beyond me . I can depend on Chrome to play all my videos and load them fast and smooth and no crashes . Settings are much easier to maneuver through and I get my work done in a dependable browser with no worries.I used Firefox for over 10 years and these last 2 years have been ridiculous. It simple wont play videos properly from YouTube or anywhere else .

I'm not sure where you're getting that. I'm a web page QA engineer so I use IE and Chrome all day at work and I have no problem with IE's navigation. I find IE10 and 11 more reliable than Chrome at handling media as Chrome's plugins crash fairly often ( especially Shockwave. ) I know it's the cool thing to bash IE, along with most other MS products. Yes, IE deserved some criticism back in the IE6 days, but that's been a long time ago. IE has been significantly better since v7 and especially v8. But if you want to keep living in 2006, by all means please do so.

Rodeo-Ranger

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014

I'll answer you without being all defensive as you were.

I was speaking from my experience and not bashing anything out of spite . The BACK button in IE simply does not work and this is evident if you look at the complaints on the net about this issue , so it is not just me. Also , IE continually crashes over and over again and asks you if you would like it to find a solution . You click yes and it never does. I still have it on my computer and this wasn't happening for me in 2006 as I stated earlier I used Firefox the past 10 years , but again you missed the facts. In comparison , the back button does work in Chrome and it has not crashed one single time in the past 2 weeks I have been using it . It also loads all the video tracks on bandhub properly for Music Video collaborations , where IE and Firefox did not . You obviously like IE so keep using it , in your case it works to your satisfaction .

Miau Frito

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
So if I really want 60fps and I really don't want Chrome, is this as easy as changing my user agent?

I'm not sure about that, but you can turn on the HTML5 player on youtube.com/html5
I use Maxthon (a great browser by the way, faster than Chrome) and 60fps only seems to work this way

SyncroScales

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Start with 60/50/48fps and then go to 2K (which is marketed as 4K).

I make media. Do the 60/50/48fps first. Most systems cannot handle the 2K (which is marketed as 4K). Why even ask? :-?

karm2865

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
Watching the videos side by side and no difference. Either I need new glasses. or those who say they can may be suffering from placebo effect.

Check the video settings and make sure the 60 video is on 720p60. However, some people actually cannot tell the difference in framerates past a certain level. Just like some people happen to be tone deaf or can't notice a .5 dB rise in sound level. No shame in being in any of those three camps.

Status
Not open for further replies.