This is What a $50,000 3D Gigapixel Display Looks Like

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Looks like shit. For $500 you could have VR with oculus rift next year.

scottk1

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
I don't believe the black bars are bezels. I think they are simply space. In my understanding, the screens are aligned so the primary viewer has one continuous image. However, the camera is farther back, so the screens just look like they are out of place.

InvalidError

Titan
Definitely doesn't have the same flair as the "3D Cave" which has seamless rear-projection images on all six faces.

On the other hand, $50k might barely cover the cost of building a room large enough to contain the cave's projection arrays.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Why in the hell they couldn't pry open the tvs, get just the panels and logic board and mount them on a custom mount? People have done that for Eyefinity setups and it looks gorgeous.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I visited that lab last spring (my brother-in-law works at KAUST) and the technology is indeed very cool. The monitors are all turned so that the Bezels are minimized from the point of view of the user (which makes it look like crap from where the pic was taken).

The other visualization lab they have at KAUST is actually the one that I find much more immersive. It is a 10 foot by 10 foot cube you step inside of with rear projection screens on all sides plus the ceiling. It uses head tracking 3D glasses to create a full 360 degree experience. THAT is the lab I want to see working with an FPS.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Did you guys miss where it said gigapixels? Each of these displays has to be a minimum of 'double-wide 8k'. This tech isn't what you pick up for a dollar at your local flea market.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
So, now you want a curved display that has over 100x the resolution of 4k, that appears to be a couple hundred inches in diagonal for what a 100" 4k tv will cost?

blingooron

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
So, now you want a curved display that has over 100x the resolution of 4k, that appears to be a couple hundred inches in diagonal for what a 100" 4k tv will cost?

this rich person purchase is the equivalent of a poorer person buying a 1$ app they dont use.

Status
Not open for further replies.