Status
Not open for further replies.
Release dates for Grand Theft Auto 4 copy pasted from wikipedia

Release date for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
29 April 2008

Microsoft Windows
NA 2 December 2008

April - December was 9 months to "spit-polish" Grand Theft Auto 4 for PC

They must have hired much better coders to be able to "spit-polish" Grand Theft Auto 5 in 3 months

I work in the marketing and advertising industry and I'll tell you that is a BS answer. They are delaying it to maximize console sales. That is what their investors want and they were instructed to make something up to appease the pc gamers. Plain and simple. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if GTA V ends up running as clunky on PC as GTA 4 does.

And is it weird that I can tell which articles are written by Kevin Parrish just by reading the title on the main page of Tom's. I can't do that with any of the other writers, but I can always spot a Kevin. Something about his writing makes it stand out from the others but I can't quite put my finger on the reason why.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
Release dates for Grand Theft Auto 4 copy pasted from wikipedia

Release date for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
29 April 2008

Microsoft Windows
NA 2 December 2008

April - December was 9 months to "spit-polish" Grand Theft Auto 4 for PC

They must have hired much better coders to be able to "spit-polish" Grand Theft Auto 5 in 3 months

actually they got more then a year since the ps3/360 release. so its some months on top of the 9 months gta4 got.

oczdude8

Distinguished
I bet they are working on making a super tight DRM for it.
"you can only play gtaV after inserting a drop of your first born son's blood into the USB Authenticator"

But seriously, if they actually make a good DRM that's secure yet, non-instrusive, It would be amazing.

"you can only play gtaV after inserting a drop of your first born son's blood into the USB Authenticator"

But seriously, if they actually make a good DRM that's secure yet, non-instrusive, It would be amazing.
They have Steam. Anything else is trash.

HomeSkillenSlice

Honorable
Mar 23, 2014
RCguitarist is absolutely spot on. I dont blame them tho tbh there are definitely lots of people willing to pay for this game but the longer they delay it the more sales will be earned. Just the nature of the PC gaming community some play it fairly while others won't.

However what they don't have an excuse for is a shty port. Kiss my faith in Rockstar goodbye if they don't put any effort into it.

HomeSkillenSlice

Honorable
Mar 23, 2014
RCguitarist is absolutely spot on. I dont blame them tho tbh there are definitely lots of people willing to pay for this game but the longer they delay it the more sales will be earned. Just the nature of the PC gaming community some play it fairly while others won't.

However what they don't have an excuse for is a shty port. Kiss my faith in Rockstar goodbye if they don't put any effort into it.

They have Steam. Anything else is trash.

Yet Steam, who once saved PC gaming, is now slowly killing it. and this is due to the ever so popular (I love them too) steam sales. Any publisher (both big and indie) knows that nearly half of the PC gamers would never buy a game at the opening price, but wait for at least a 50% off sale or something before even considering a game. therefore, once again, PC becomes the platform with decreasing profit and an afterthought for most publishers

mrmez

Splendid
I don't think they are going to laden it with excessive DRM at all.

I think they are delaying it so long after the PS4/Xbx release so they can sell as many legit games as they can, which they are perfectly entitled to do.
By the time the PC version is released they would have sold enough to not bother with ridiculous DRM.

Not a bad strategy. Keeps them making good money, so they can keep making great games while not pissing off the world with insane DRM requirements.

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
My brother worked as the lead AI developer on GTA games up until GTA san andreas.
He told me at that time they had literally 1 person who did the conversion from console to PC.
Considering how bare minimum it was back then I would not be surprised if they have similar setup now.

For Christ sake here in Edinburgh they advertise for "Runners" to work in the office.
Know what a runner is? Basically it's a butler, job description states everything from making coffee to picking up washing, I kid you not.

Optimus_Toaster

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
I really really didn't expect all this negative feedback about a game delay. Unless you are planning on dying in the next few months, 2 months is an insignificant amount of time. It isn't going to cost you any more and the game is only going to get better. Just be a bit patient. Look back to some of the great games that people play, at this point would you care whether skyrim came out in November or January? No, cause it has no bearing on the fact that it is brilliant and you can play it absolutely tons.

Mr marketing and advertising has just written what everyone wants to hear and stuck an only slightly relevant job down to make it seem like he knows what he is saying. I am not personally attacking the guy but everyone could tell you that if you have to delay something, making an excuse of it needing work will help keep people happy. But you need to actually working for R* to call their bluff cause none of us know the truth.

Finally, PC gaming is much harder to develop for with the thousands of hardware configs and different software people run. You also have to factor in the higher quality graphics they have create assets and code for. Plus the in game film maker that worked quite well in gta v.

I have plenty to do in the 2 months between the release dates, and I really hope this is a great port of an already great game.

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

My bullshit detector beep at words like "we are incredibly excited"... marketing is either on too much caffeine or have severe ADHD it's in every announcement. I for one notice posts of Cangelini immediately because he's delegated to write articles as secondary PR .

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
"Yet Steam, who once saved PC gaming, is now slowly killing it. and this is due to the ever so popular (I love them too) steam sales. Any publisher (both big and indie) knows that nearly half of the PC gamers would never buy a game at the opening price, but wait for at least a 50% off sale or something before even considering a game. therefore, once again, PC becomes the platform with decreasing profit and an afterthought for most publishers"

Bull. The PC market has ALWAYS been an afterthought for these people. Frankly, if there was a way that outside marketers could offer lesser prices on the Microsoft and Sony stores for the PS4 and XBox One, they would do it.
Competition ALWAYS improves things and someone needs to do a 'noncompetitive practices' suit against both Microsoft and Sony on this issue.

keyrock

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
We can only hope and pray that the PC port winds up better optimized than the GTAIV PC port, or we'll need a pair of Titan Zs in SLI just to get a decent framerate at 1080p.

Status
Not open for further replies.