This makes no sense!!!! Please help...

rnc4life

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
Hi guys,

so I recently switched motherboard (from Asus P5Q Pro to Gigabyte EP45-UD3P because I heard the Gigabyte one is better) and the weirdest thing happened!

The computer would function fine when linking to my TV via HDMI. (DVI -> adapter -> HDMI -> TV)

But it would not connect (no signal) to my desktop monitor for some reason!! DVI->DVI Cable -> Monitor

Weird thing was that it was fine before I made the mobo switch.

My monitor works fine as I connected it with the old computer to type up this question...

My video card is GTX 260 btw. Any idea what is going on?

Do I need a RMA on the board?

* btw, I posted it in the mobo section but would like to post the same question here at the graphic card section as it is also relevant...

rnc4life

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
@ Rolli, yes.

@ Rocky. Yes to driver. I will switch the cable and give it a try. But the same cable was working 24 hours earlier......I doubt it is the cable's fault but i'll check it out.

rnc4life

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
ok

I am using the new board with the vga adapter. so basically -> DVI to HDMI works. DVI to VGA works.

Just DVI to DVI doesn't.........

I will get a new cable tomorrow.

What kinda of setting can this be though? I just don't see the problem........

rnc4life

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009

totally hear you dude. its just the problem concerns both the mobo and the vid card.

:(

so you think a fresh install would solve the problem? it makes no sense how I can

DVI -> HDMI
DVI -> VGA

but no DVI -> DVI....

rockyjohn

Distinguished

That is still no excuse to double post. Viewers here frequently go between them. Just post in on or the other. Or you could have gone to Homebuilt.

Hope I'm not oversimplifying things, but did you reformat your hard drive, or at least reinstall Windows when you switched motherboards? If not, then it's no surprise that you have devices that aren't working.

If you already tried that, then sorry, and feel free to ignore this. Just couldn't tell from your original post, and a format/reinstall would be a VERY important step to leave out.

rnc4life

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
OK

first of all, thank you all for your help on this issue.

problem has now been resolved. hopefully it can help others in the future. here is is the play by play

in the end, my computer is FINE. the problem lies in the monitor. the motherboard switch probably just so happened when the monitor went nuts......but it was not the cause. (damn computer problems......)

apparently LCD monitors have a history of having "dying" DVI port. but they can be revived with the following simple steps:

"Shut down the computer. Disconnect the power cables from both the monitor and the computer. Disconnect the VGA cable, and reconnect the monitor to the computer via the DVI cable. Press the power button for both the monitor and computer while unplugged to drain any remaining power. Re-attach the power cables to both the monitor and the computer and restart your system"

woooola!! :)

rockyjohn

Distinguished
It just sounds like you were mechanically switching the monitor to the DVI port instead of using the on-screen controls I presume it has for doing that. When you were switching it from VGA to DVI before, were you using the on-screen controls to switch the monitor over to the other port?

rnc4life

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009

good call.

but i think my monitor automatically switches back and forth.

and when i was switch VGA to DVI before, I tried making the change via the monitor control. but it wouldn't even allow me to open it in the first place.

but now apparently it is a common thing when DVI port would sometimes give out and require a soft reset to kick it back on....