This Netbook and Lego Solves Rubik's Cube in 12s

Status
Not open for further replies.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
it's all in the programing... the speed of the ser\/o's is going to be the real limitation once they finally get the programming down pat. I can see someone getting motors so fast one day, that it actually busts the cube. :p

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]i doubt it..... how are the sensors set up for this?[/citation]

There's a Lego web-cam in the center, right behind the cube. All it needs to do is get quick snapshots of the faces of the cube in the software, create a plan to solve it virtually, and send the commands to the servos. My brother has those servos, and they are quite fast.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]Why a Netbook? Near any desktop could do it faster.[/citation]
I am guessing the solving is easy and netbook is really all that is needed, the bottleneck would be the servos moving the cube really.

dj1001

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]Why a Netbook? Near any desktop could do it faster.[/citation]

it probably doesn't require much processor power at all

so that intel atom is most likely overkill for the task

ph3412b07

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
lego actuators are slow compared to a skilled human operator. with some real hardware you could probably get it done in a second

CBaca

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Pretty cool. I would like to see how long it would take to solve a Super Rubik's Cube (can't remember if that was name of the one that had twice as many squares on each face). I had both when I was a kid. They are probably still buried in a closet somewhere.

zanraptora

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
It would really be interesting if they could scale this down to use a micro-controller... Perhaps they should also try to program for the 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 cubes!

israil

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
My roommate in college could solve one behind his back, so I'm not even sure you need sensors. There might just be some mathematical algorithm that'll solve any randomized cube.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
if you use an IBM super computer, it would solve it in 1 nanosecond. Then it would skeptical of the result ("Must be a trick question somewhere") and spend the next second reconfirming the result a billion times.

Status
Not open for further replies.