This one, or this one?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Either of those PSU's is great. I have Corsair myself. Shoot for 600 watts, if possible to be safe. Installing a PSU is pretty easy, as is installing a video card.

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Okay tyvm, starting to fall in love with y'all for all the help ive been getting today :pt1cable:
Anyways, i still have a Quest to find out which mobo i have, i just CBA(!!!) to open her up just yet. Will prolly do it tomorrow lmao :p

But let me ask again cus i cant remember. Why do we need to find out which mobo i use?

You really just want to make sure that you have space inside your case to install the new, longer card with a wider cooler in place of your old 9500GS. Then, you need to figure out if your current PSU has enough wattage to power your new card (unlikely).

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Ah i see, well lets just take it dosnt have 550w+.
Hmm! Which got me thinking now when u mentioned it, if my mobo cant handle the Graphic Card then i'll have to get a new mobo aswell lol :na:

That's true and it's possible a new PSU won't just plug right in as well. If you are talking about getting another motherboard then that changes the game considerably.

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

1. Why is it possible a new PSU wont plug in just right in as well?
2. Why would the mobo change the game considerably for?

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
And oh yeah, if i were to buy the SoC Card, would i need a motherboard who supports SLI?
Im still quite unsure what SLI means, would someone mind explaining to me what SLI means/is please?

1. There are different form factors for PSU's, basically the main plug that goes into your motherboard has to be the right size. Things are pretty standard these days, but if you have an older motherboard, there may be compatibility issues. I'm no expert.
2. Getting a new motherboard sometimes means getting a new CPU, RAM, and other components. You might be able to get a motherboard that accepts your current CPU and RAM, but I don't know.

With the GTX470 SOC you do not need an SLI motherboard, just a PCIe slot (which you currently have). SLI is when you combine two video cards for twice the graphics power. For most people one GTX470 is more than enough.

Hopefully, you get your case open and see plenty of space around your video card and then compare your current PSU versus the ones you were considering purchasing. You need the specifications for your PSU to really know what's going on.

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Alright! So i open the can up, found 3labels that had some numbers on it, this is what it said:
Label #1; PS ULYP84201006 PC RS740M03 - 8EKRS2H
Label #2; Phoenix Bios D686 Bios 317384780
Label #3; MB P8 KIT PN 7810910000

Thats all that was on my motherboard when i opened her up. But i found something else when i hit, i think it was F5, when i started up my computer:

System Bios Version
PBBGLOO. P05
Thats it for my Motherboard, now for my PSU.

Opened it up, read the label on the PSU, all i could find was like etc, MAX 250w.

Model nr. on PSU: FSP250 - GOHEN

Hope this helped!!

I think this is your motherboard. It is made by Foxconn, but I can't find it on their site. I'm not sure, but it might be a mini-ATX form factor, which would mean the video card would be too big.:
http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Foxconn-RS740M03-8EKRS2H-Socket-AM2-Motherboard-/250694957271
You definitely need to upgrade your power supply.
What size case do you have? Is it a mini-tower, or mid-tower? How much space is there around your current video card?

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

The link you linked me of the motherboard looks like the one i have, just on top of that yellow center there is a fan attached. And im using a Mini-Twr. Lemme tell ya, there was not much space to play around with, i seriously need a bigger case.

Soo... Do i need another mobo, or just a new PSU & Case, or all three together?

To me, it looks like you either need to go big, with a new mobo, case, and PSU; OR try to find a smaller graphics card that fits that slot (you will still need the PSU either way). You could buy a graphics card, try it out and return it if it doesn't fit. Maybe you could post a photo of the motherboard with the current graphics card installed.
Honestly, if it is a mini-ATX board, we are getting out of my expertise range. Basically, if you have enough power, then whatever card you can get to fit will work.

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Yeah i could post a picture of the inside tomorrow, sure thing!
So, what i want to buy now is a; new PSU, new Case (Tower), and a new Graphic card. Would you mind try and help me find a good PSU & Chassi? =)

Basically im looking at the OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W as PSU. Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus as Case.

Is this something good, or is there better within price range?

Thanks!

Those are great, but the whole point is your mobo may be too small to accomodate the size of the video card. If so, you will need a regular ATX size AM2 socket motherboard that takes your CPU and DDR2 RAM. Either that, or you are going to go all the way with new everything.

It would be kind of a shame to put an old AM2/DDR2 mobo in this:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/cooler-master-haf-912-plus-review/

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Hahaha, why a shame? xD
And let's say my mobo is too small (Which i think it is) could you recommend me a good mobo that will do me good? =)

I just started a new thread to see what the best video card for a mini-ATX mobo is. So, maybe there will be a good one that fits in your current setup, as an option, rather than buying a whole new system.

Going the route of new mobo, etc. takes some technical expertise, a lot of research, and of course money.

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Yeah thats true. because in order for the GTX470 SoC to work i will need to get a new (probably) mobo, PSU and chassi. So it's maybe best to see if i can find a GC that fits into my current mobo(?), rather, like u said, get whole new system :??:

Becuase only a new PSU, GC & Chassi is approximately 631.5$., and then a new mobo isn't included. I know nothing about motherboards so i don't know what price is fair and which isn't.

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Yup, found you thread. Lots of thanks to you lad who are helping me so much!! :D
Haha think other ppl have lost interest as you said lol

Okay, here is a page listing the length and width of Nvidia graphics cards.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_family.html
Your card is 6.875 inches long (not sure in millimeters). That will give you an idea of what length card will fit in your case.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9500gt_us.html

Forget about a GTX470 for now. The standard GTX460 is 8.25 inches (210 mm), so you would need space for 1.5 inches more in length and it is a double slot card, so you would need double the space beneath your current 9500GT.

You also definitely need a new PSU.

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Sorry this didn't help. I cant find were it says how long the GPU's are...
And im unsure, do you know wich mobo i have now? Still want that picture?

You have to click on the tab that says "Specifications". A photo would help, but it would be better if you could just see for yourself if you have a couple available inches of space for a longer card. About the width of two fingers.

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Did click on specifications, I probably missed it :p Oh well, i will open it up again tomorrow :D
Thanks!!<3