Discussion Thoughts on usefulness of hyperthreading

judahg460

Honorable
Aug 3, 2018
Ok so just wanted to throw the question out, how useful is hyper threading really for the basic consumer? Cpus these days have 16-20 cores just for base i7’s, so is hyper threading even relevant? Back about 10 years ago the only systems that utilized such a number of cores was servers. Have applications come to a point where they can utilize that much cpu potential, or are cpus of this capacity just a novelty for the average consumer?

This thought came up while I was overclocking my xeon 1650 v3. I hit a wall at 4.5 ghz, and at 4.6 and the safe voltage cap it was unstable and way too hot. I got the idea to turn off HT, and lo and behold I achieved a very stable 4.6 ghz at a lower voltage and quite a bit cooler than with HT on. My single core performance received a small but definitely noticeable boost as well. This brought forth the thought, if most games dont utilize crazy core counts, and the average user runs basic applications, why not create a cpu model with modest core count, no HT, and then a high clock speed/oc capability and strong single core performance, all at a cheaper msrp? May be overthinking but thats a product i would be very interested in.

kanewolf

Titan
Ok so just wanted to throw the question out, how useful is hyper threading really for the basic consumer? Cpus these days have 16-20 cores just for base i7’s, so is hyper threading even relevant? Back about 10 years ago the only systems that utilized such a number of cores was servers. Have applications come to a point where they can utilize that much cpu potential, or are cpus of this capacity just a novelty for the average consumer?

This thought came up while I was overclocking my xeon 1650 v3. I hit a wall at 4.5 ghz, and at 4.6 and the safe voltage cap it was unstable and way too hot. I got the idea to turn off HT, and lo and behold I achieved a very stable 4.6 ghz at a lower voltage and quite a bit cooler than with HT on. My single core performance received a small but definitely noticeable boost as well. This brought forth the thought, if most games dont utilize crazy core counts, and the average user runs basic applications, why not create a cpu model with modest core count, no HT, and then a high clock speed/oc capability and strong single core performance, all at a cheaper msrp? May be overthinking but thats a product i would be very interested in.
Gaming is not the only use for processors. You have WAY too narrow a perspective, IMO.

Reactions: artk2219

judahg460

Honorable
Aug 3, 2018
Gaming is not the only use for processors. You have WAY too narrow a perspective, IMO.

Most likely lol, just wondered if there was even a market for a base level barebones cpu such as what I described. Im up for being educated on how cpu utilization works based on core counts, and clock speed, and use of single core versus multi core performance