Question Thoughts/Suggestions on $3k+ Game Dev/3D Rendering build

Nov 28, 2022
This is my first time building a PC and I want to really do it right. I plan to run some pretty heavy game dev/art programs on this machine and need a lot of power for rendering. I also dabble in some audio production, and of course I'm going to do some gaming on this. Bottom line is I want to be able to do anything on this machine without worrying about performance, but I've still left myself with room to grow (i9, 4090 or whatever else comes out in the future, etc)

part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nHZp4s

This list has gone through a lot of change, but I think what I have will really future-proof it for a long time. I know what I have is powerful, but are there any obvious places where I can cut cost? I let PC part picker guide me for some parts like the CPU cooler and sound card. Someone told me I should get a DAC instead but I don't know what the difference would be.

I spent a long time going back and forth between 690 and 790 motherboards.. do I really need a 790? I heard they are beneficial for 13th gen intel cores, and I plan to have this machine for a very long time.
I'm not married to the PNY 4080 on my list, but I definitely will be going for a 4080. Open to suggestions for brands/series if anyone has experience with ones they like (or don't).

What other things do I need to consider in my build? I've heard talk about needing to mount components inside the case, sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology but what do I need to ensure my components will sit firmly?
Will I need to look at case fans, thermal paste, etc? I am planning to only purchase the items on this list, so I'm not sure what else I might need to piece them all together.

I appreciate any input at all, thanks!

Last edited:
It all works although that board in your build is a hefty price tbh. Pretty much all cpu coolers come with either a small tube of thermal paste or pre-applied thermal paste. I'd try out the onboard sound first before deciding on whether or not to purchase a sound card.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...0-12VHPWR-Type-4-PSU-Power-Cable/p/CP-8920284
Corsair 600W PCIe 5.0 12VHPWR Type-4 PSU Power Cable $19.99

Joe Gallo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2015
You can cut cost out of your motherboard if you’d like, just make sure it’s ddr5 and has at least one gen 5 pcie slot and it’ll be pretty future proof.

Don’t be afraid to go with a more expensive case. You’d save by using stock fans that would most likely be adequate. And would be able to carry the case forward for years.

As a guy that only really makes bang for the buck long term systems. Choose cpu over gpu.
I’d think about saving on the gpu and put in the cpu. Because It takes about a decade for a top of the line cpu to be obsolete but only about 5-6 for a top of the line gpu to be obsolete, while seeing much more gains in that 5 years.

With the psu if you are going to be using it for work you might have something be more reliable, save you money in the long term and last longer by going with a platinum or titanium Evga or Seasonic psu. I prefer Evga personally.

With the ram I’d don’t necessarily disagree with your choice. Just a couple options to consider. Going with cheaper but moving to 2x32gb may help with workloads and allow extra expandability in the future. Or going with cheaper ram and then upgrading as it’s expected for ddr5 to hit much higher frequencies at a cheaper price later in its life cycle.

I see your logic on all your decisions though and I think you wouldn’t be wrong pulling the trigger.

TRENDING THREADS