Question Thousands of "Event ID 17, WHEA-Logger" warnings in Event Viewer ?

ashala2202

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
Hello,

I've been having huge issues with Service Host: Windows Event Log taking up all my resources (CPU and Disk usage) and paralyzing my PC every half a minute or so. After checking the Event Viewer, there was thousands of warnings (yellow exclamation marks) of "Event ID 17, WHEA-Logger". They seem to appear every second and the logger logs them all the time.

I have an Asrock X58 Extreme motherboard, an Intel i7-920, 6GB of Corsair RAM and only recently I swapped my faulty old Ati Radeon 5870 for a GTX 960 and this started happening. Ran all the GPU tests and tested it in multiple games and everything seems normal, but PC in Windows is suffocated by the event logger that cranks up my CPU and disk usage and outright paralyzes the system all the time.

Any ideas?

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Primary Bus: Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
Secondary Bus: Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
Primary Device Name: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3405&SUBSYS_34051849&REV_13
Secondary Device Name:

EDIT:
After acquiring the new GPU, I ran OCCT standard 3D test for more than 30 minutes and no errors were detected. Now when I run it starts returning WHEA errors, millions of them.

NOTE: Windows ran multiple updates yesterday, maybe they have something to do with it?

Last edited:
Reactions: madaraosenpai
You can try these troubleshooting steps. First check your Windows update to make sure all the updates were installed. Secondly :
1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del, select Task Manager.

2. From the File menu, select Run new task.

3. Put a check mark next to Create this task with administrative privileges and tap or click OK.

4. Type cmd and hit Enter.

5. Type the following commands in same order in the Command prompt window:

a. Type sfc /scannow and press Enter.

(This command scans and verifies the integrity of all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct versions).

b. Type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth and press Enter.

c. Type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth and press Enter.

d. Type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press Enter.

(These commands fix any files that System File Checker can't repair and Windows corruption errors).

e. Close the command window.

f. Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the system.

Reactions: ashala2202

ubuysa

Distinguished
In addition to the above, can you please also download and run the SysnativeBSODCollectionApp and upload the resulting zip file to a cloud service with a link to it here. The SysnativeBSODCollectionApp collects all the troubleshooting data we're likely to need. It DOES NOT collect any personally identifying data. It's used by several highly respected Windows help forums (including this one). I'm a senior BSOD analyst on the Sysnative forum where this tool came from, so I know it to be safe.

You can of course look at what's in the zip file before you upload it, most of the files are txt files. Please don't change or delete anything though. If you want a description of what each file contains you'll find that here.

ashala2202

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
I ran all the commands and it did find some corrupted files and replaced them. However, the issue remained and the warnings spammed just the same until I rebooted the system. For now, it seems to have worked! I'm not getting any Event ID 17, WHEA-Loggers in the Event Viewer and ran OCCT again which returned no errors whatsoever.

Thank you for your help!

As for SysnativeBSODCollectionApp, I ran it but it took ages, so I decided to abort for now since I don't have enough time to wait for it. Maybe I run it again later.

I'll keep an eye on the system and get back to you if the problem reemerges.

ashala2202

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
Update
I've just found some WHEA-Loggers in the Event Viewer again, but not too many. In fact, only 2 warnings in a span of 2 hours. Have no idea what it could mean now. Before, there were millions of them. The system is working fine. I'll rerun the Sysnative Collection App when I get the chance these days.

ubuysa

Distinguished
Thanks for the upload. There are two dumps in there and they are identical. Both happened because your graphics driver is spinning in a continuous loop.

In your case this appears to be because you have completely the wrong graphics driver installed! Your system is Intel based with an Nvidia GTX 960 graphics card, yet the graphics driver that is failing is atikmpag.sys which is the driver for an AMD Radeon graphics card. You can see this clearly in the function calls leading up to the bugcheck (read this from the bottom up)...
Code:
2: kd> k
 # Child-SP          RetAddr               Call Site
00 ffffaa85`c1d47f58 fffff800`2883540d     nt!KeBugCheckEx
01 ffffaa85`c1d47f60 fffff800`288354ee     dxgkrnl!TdrTimedOperationBugcheckOnTimeout+0x45
02 ffffaa85`c1d47fd0 fffff800`2efe2043     dxgkrnl!TdrTimedOperationDelay+0xce
03 ffffaa85`c1d48010 ffff9a0f`a4a74000     atikmdag+0x42043
04 ffffaa85`c1d48018 ffffaa85`c1d48131     0xffff9a0f`a4a74000
05 ffffaa85`c1d48020 ffffaa85`c1d48100     0xffffaa85`c1d48131
06 ffffaa85`c1d48028 fffff800`2f030514     0xffffaa85`c1d48100
07 ffffaa85`c1d48030 00000000`013105f0     atikmdag+0x90514
08 ffffaa85`c1d48038 00000000`00000028     0x13105f0
09 ffffaa85`c1d48040 fffff800`2efe2017     0x28
0a ffffaa85`c1d48048 00000000`00000101     atikmdag+0x42017
0b ffffaa85`c1d48050 00000000`0000007f     0x101
0c ffffaa85`c1d48058 00000000`00fd5e87     0x7f
0d ffffaa85`c1d48060 ffffb18f`82b5a9fb     0xfd5e87
0e ffffaa85`c1d48068 00000000`00000000     0xffffb18f`82b5a9fb
You can clearly see atikmdag.sys called three times before the Windows DirectX kernel (dxgkrnl.sys) realises that the graphics operation has stalled (in the dxgkrnl!TdrTimedOperationDelay+0xce function call) and eventually it times out and we get the BSOD.

It's clear that your old graphics card must have been an AMD Radeon and you've swapped it for an Nvidia GTX 960 - without removing the AMD graphics driver first. In this situation here's what I would suggest...
  1. Download DDU.
  2. Run DDU and remove the NVidia driver for the GTX 960 card that is installed (this is a precautionary measure).
  3. Remove the GTX 960 card and replace the old AMD Radeon card.
  4. Run DDU again and remove the AMD driver for the Radeon card.
  5. Remove the AMD Radeon card and install the Nvidia GTX 960.
  6. Install the latest Nvidia driver for the GTX 960.
That's what you should have done when changing graphics cards in this way.

ashala2202

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
I did that. Before removing the old GPU, I used DDU to completely remove all the utilities and the driver and then swapped the hardware, following it with installing the latest Nvidia GPU. All in that order.

Anyway, I don't have the old GPU at hand anymore. Is it really necessary to plug it back in or?

I've never got the BSOD with the new GPU. My old GPU was faulty and it did cause BSODs from time to time. Maybe these are old dumps?

Last edited:

ubuysa

Distinguished
Your right, they are from mid-June, that's my mistake. For the future it would help when you make hardware changes that cause problems to state the date the hardware change was made in your post.

The WHEA-Logger events that you complain of are all for the same device, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3405; the Intel X58 chipset I/O Hub to ESI Port. Accoring to this, the I/O Hub device interfaces the CPU to the PCIe lanes. Any driver for that device will be part of your chipset package. When I look at the downloads for your motherboard it seems that Asrock only have drivers available for Windows 7, which always raises the question whether there are Windows 10 drivers available and even whether this board is truly Windows 10 compatible?

It's possible of course that the GTX 960 requires services from the PCIe lanes that the AMD card did not and that's why you're seeing these errors now. The only ay to check/confirm that would be to borrow a known good Radeon 5870 and see wether running that card elimminates these errors.

I would suggest that you first download and run the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and see whether that fins any new drivers - install any it finds.

If that doesn't help then download and run the Intel Chipset Installation Utility (now called the Chipset INF Utility) and see whether that can help. It may not be valid for you chipset however, if it is it will tell you.

The only other suggestion I can make, since you've been inside the case swapping graphics cards, is that you may have disturbed something else. Check all PCIe cards, remove and reseat them. Check all cables and connectors, at the PSU too, to be sure they are fully home.

ashala2202

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
Thanks for that post! I'll remember to state the dates more accurately next time.

I noticed the error was connected to the chipset and yes, since it's the old Mobo, there are no new drivers whatsoever. However, I've been running Win10 since it was launched with no real issues. It is an old PC, so it may get difficult to discern between the problems cropping up, but generally, I'd say it ran fine throughout the years.

Borrowing the same card is really not a possibility for me at this moment.

Repairing system files seems to have eliminated the WHEA-Logger which hasn't appeared for two days now. There was just that one reappearing of it, but it never came back. I hope it stays that way, but I'm not really convinced.

As far as cable connections go, yes, I'm aware of that so I always double check all the cables when making some changes. I've reinserted the RAM and the CPU lately, so there's no trouble there.

The Intel Driver & Support Assistant hasn't found any drivers.

The Intel Chipset Installation Utility said that the platform was not supported.

Reactions: ubuysa

ubuysa

Distinguished
Whea logging in small amounts is a normal function and needs no action taken.
Can you provide some evidence for that statement? The importance or otherwise of WHEA logging depends on what is being logged, the severity of the logs, and how often the error is repeated. A WHEA error for a fatal failure really shouldn't be ignored at all. Even repeated corrected failures are indicative that something isn't behaving as expected.

ashala2202

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
Just to note: they did reappear multiple times during a day and always in pairs (two warnings with the same timestamp). Something I do must trigger them, but I can't see what. System is working fine as far as I can see.

EDIT: Millions of WHEA - Loggers after XCOM 2 froze on me. That's the first time something like that happened.

Last edited: