News Thousands of Used GPUs Are Flooding China's Second-Hand Market

Co BIY

Splendid
I think card manufacturers should probably reissue their card lines to prevent their new cards from being confused for all the used cards getting dumped on the market.

plateLunch

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
They're dumping Polaris class cards too? Finally. Prefer something faster but might finally have a chance to move on from the HD6850 on my 6 year old PC.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Lol, posted something about this the other day....

The article I read suggested being VERY skeptical of the use and abuse aspect of these "refurbished" cards that should be sweeping the market. Buyer Be (extra) Aware.

Reactions: Krotow

SyDiko

Reputable
Jun 14, 2017
Those cards were running at 100% for 24hrs a day since installed in those virtual sweat shops... Dont go anywhere near them lol.

missingxtension

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Very nice! These crypto idiots first ruin the 1st hand Graphics card market, then work their way to ruin the second hand market....
I was looking for a used 1060 or 2060 to replace my 670 when they are in the $150 $200 range. But even then, I wont pay close to retail for price on a card with no warranty. Been trough the bump gate and the snapdragon 810 fiascos.

Reactions: Krotow
Today I went into a PC part shop and ask them How much for an RTX 3070 they had on display? (from Asus, basic model, nothing fancy)... The price was 4.3 times my monthly salary.... soo yeah really happy with my pre-pandemic and beloved RTX 2070.

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
They will be relatively easy to spot for a while.
I mean, if you are buying GPUs off wish or see any sales that look to be an unrealistically good deal. 💩
The problem will be after all the noise dies down in a year or so. Those well used cards will blend in a lot easier.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Lol, posted something about this the other day....

The article I read suggested being VERY skeptical of the use and abuse aspect of these "refurbished" cards that should be sweeping the market. Buyer Be (extra) Aware.

I would advise people to buy new cards from reputable vendors to avoid them.

People who are willing to buy these cards will be miners themselves since all they care is the mining rate and how much they could earn from it.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
They will be relatively easy to spot for a while.
I mean, if you are buying GPUs off wish or see any sales that look to be an unrealistically good deal. 💩
The problem will be after all the noise dies down in a year or so. Those well used cards will blend in a lot easier.

As long as you get brand new from a reputable vendor, you are safe. So far, I have yet to see anyone trying to sell them off as brand new cards with full warranty.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Well apparently NVIDIA has a fix in. So it will be interesting to see if they can brick mining performance without bricking gaming performance.

The AIBs are already releasing LHR versions of RTX cards. There will be no more normal versions of RTX3060ti/3070/3080. There are only LHR versions of RTX3060/3070ti/3080ti. The only normal card will be RTX3090.

The only right thing to do now is to buy NOTHING, not used, not even from retail, absolutely nothing unless you have no other choice (i.e. current GPU died). Miners and scalpers gave hell to all gamers searching for a decent GPU for the past year, now it is time to give them the same treatment in return and not spend a dime on those used cards. For at least 1 year.

Frankly, at this rate I'd get a couple Polaris cards for cheap even if heavily farmed, because my RX480 8Gb is getting REALLY old - at 5 years old it's ripe to die on me, and equivalent cards (RX570) are STILL selling for the price I pad for it when it came out in August 2016...

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Frankly, at this rate I'd get a couple Polaris cards for cheap even if heavily farmed, because my RX480 8Gb is getting REALLY old - at 5 years old it's ripe to die on me, and equivalent cards (RX570) are STILL selling for the price I pad for it when it came out in August 2016...
I'm using a second-hand R9 380, that was used for mining, and it still can play Cyberpunk in 1080p at medium settings. Keep your card, you don't need to upgrade yet. Prices will fall a lot in the next months, if you buy now it's certain you'll regret it.

g-unit1111

Titan
The only right thing to do now is to buy NOTHING, not used, not even from retail, absolutely nothing unless you have no other choice (i.e. current GPU died). Miners and scalpers gave hell to all gamers searching for a decent GPU for the past year, now it is time to give them the same treatment in return and not spend a dime on those used cards. For at least 1 year.

^^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^^

Sadly there will be some misguided people who will buy these, but for the most part I want to see these bots and miners take massive losses on their investments.

I'm using a second-hand R9 380, that was used for mining, and it still can play Cyberpunk in 1080p at medium settings. Keep your card, you don't need to upgrade yet. Prices will fall a lot in the next months, if you buy now it's certain you'll regret it.
i'm keeping my card for as long at it'll last. But, considering most of the cards I owned previously died after 4 to 6 years of use, this one may just give up the ghost.