THQ Says Goodbye to Red Faction Franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwin742

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Well if the idiots had actually used the awesome destruction in Armageddon it might have sold better.
I don't know why they went from the open world in Guerrilla to linear in Armageddon. It made no sense what so ever.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I rather see a good franchise have a dignified death than be turned into a cash cow franchise, ending up as a parody of its former self.
Still it's sad to see Red Faction go :(

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
The franchise was going down hill since the second game which was by far one of the biggest disappointments in gaming. The original is a classic
and the idea of fully destructible environments way before its time.

It's unfortunate to say but I am not sad to see the franchise go it wasn't really going anywhere and always lived in the shadow of the original.

cybrcatter

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Dear THQ,Company of Heroes 2 please?[/citation]
I still play CoH. That game is aging gracefully.

Would j*** myself if they made a CoH2.

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
[citation][nom]hardcore_gamer[/nom]Armageddon sucked. It was way too linear. Well....consoles killed one more game.[/citation]

Please enlighten us on how consoles killed this game when it was released I thing 10 years ago on the ps2 and was successful?

I really dont understand you pc elitist thinking that your high and mighty. This is the new thing, when a game sucks blame it on a console. When a game it pirated, blame it on a console. When you whine that a game isnt like you want it to be, blame it on a console.

I game on my pc/360/ps3 so I think im more of a hardcore gamer than you.

I cant wait till BF3 drops so you and the others can cry about that game too.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]silky salamandr[/nom]This is the new thing, when a game sucks blame it on a console. When a game it pirated, blame it on a console. When you whine that a game isnt like you want it to be, blame it on a console.[/citation]

The consoles are to blame for some bad things but far from all. Their aging hardware specs forces the Dev's to cut corners in order to get those descent sceen-shots & videos in order to be able to market it for consoles. Those cut corner could have made it nicely on the PC thoo due to newer hardware, not 5 years old.

I understand quite abit of that frustruation over the situation, imagine having a Ferrari but your only allowed to drive at 10mhp due to the smart cars that also populates the same road. Some poeple seem to use lame excuses like "killed by console, consoles are to blame for x-y-z) ect just to justify their own piracy, blaming the companies that they pirate a title. There is no excuse for that, either play and purchase or don't.

As for the part where consoles really are to blame i think Dungeon Siege 3 is a good fresh candidate.

kathiki

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
This is the new trend nowadays. Release titles that are designed to facilitate both console joystic users and Pc users.

As a PC user i am really averse to using movements that are limited to a joystic way of turning around. That does not mean that it kills the game.

Piracy will always prevail not because people do not want to pay for a title since they can find it free. MMORPGs are the example to it..... There are more than 30 milion people world wide paying a monthly subscription to an online game.... The same people will even spend money to buy additional games.... But in all honesty, are you going to spend 1/20 (for many countries) of your salary for a game that simply lasts 20-30 hours tops? 70 - 80 Euros for something that eventually turns into crap?

If companies want to make money indeed, then they should learn how to respect their customer base first, then try to make money. I bought Gothic 4 for 65 Euros when it came out...... I saw 3 faces in the game only being repeated on every single char, the game sucked really hard and it even scored rock bottom on every single site....

I bought Two worlds II for 44 Euros, the game ended in like 20 hours, had to wait for around 3 MONTHS till developers released a decent patch to make it decent. There was even a book ingame somewhere in a house that mentioned there were like 50 or more testers on that game... but hey for that price the game offered a killing multiplayer mode

Do I have to mention the latest trend of DLCs that go for around 15Euros and they offer around one to two hours of gameplay?

So no! Consoles have not killed gaming companies..... it the companies themselves that are committing suicide. It is people themselves that are getting so overhyped over a new title (like myself on Gothic 4) and then they end up in frustration initially, then in total infuriation....

Buy a game, pirate it, throw it away, do what you feel like but do not play console gamers. They can be as naive as pc gamers.

G

I loved the Original Red Faction, a game that was excellent for its geo-modding engine, allowing you to tunnel through entire levels, with a great multi-player!
Red Faction 2 was my second favourite, although to linear, it had a good story and great visuals.
The only thing that made things less and less awesome was the lack of Multiplayer in Red Faction 2, and less and less of the actual "geo-modding".

Please someone buy the IP and go back to the roots of destruction!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I liked the idea of Red Faction, basically a game of what happens after Total Recall.

It had so much potential and maybe should have traded a little more heavily on the Arnie movie to get a broader appeal.

Hey-ho, never mind.

flclkun

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Good riddance. This series took a huge dive and started sucking hard after RF2 (Which only the MP was the only fun part of the game)

This is what happens to a series when they try to copy halo and CoD ,the current top FPS' on the market, (which have always been overrated trash)

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Out of all those games I only care about WWE12, I hope that THQ delivers on their final product, so far is looking "good" which is far from been Excellent.

Yes today's games demand a very high quality standard.
How is that news to THQ? It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, technology has grown and players today have a high understanding of technology, so we expect more for our money.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
To me it started out as an idea of good release really for many standpoints, but didnt end up getting it even, and rarely even really seen any gameplay footage. Or actual end result post-concept.

Martian-highlight is kinda blah. But should of made it better, yes?

Cause got alot of "feedback" reveiws was decent. If really good. Think one release got Greatest Hits. Game(s) of the Year. Right?

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
If they hadn't of screwed up the GeoMod engine from the first game I think it would have continued. I loved making tunnels from one base to the other in Warlord.

Anaxamenes

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
The game is decent for a shooter, but it really did just turn into a bug hunt. Guerrilla was open world, and had a much more resonating story to contemporary politics and I think that is one of the reasons it was so good.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]silky salamandr[/nom]Please enlighten us on how consoles killed this game when it was released I thing 10 years ago on the ps2 and was successful? I really dont understand you pc elitist thinking that your high and mighty. This is the new thing, when a game sucks blame it on a console. When a game it pirated, blame it on a console. When you whine that a game isnt like you want it to be, blame it on a console. I game on my pc/360/ps3 so I think im more of a hardcore gamer than you.I cant wait till BF3 drops so you and the others can cry about that game too.[/citation]
because it's linear, meaning it's the same old gauntlet with nothing changing no matter what you do.
consoles don't have the horse power to strategize so they never bother writing an AI in games beyond what a primitive obsolete console can handle. same boss, same opponent every time at pre programmed intervals.
no end game boss comming in and slaughtering your hairy @$$ for f'ing up at the beginning.
the AI in supreme commander or falcon 4 allied force has more variation in it depsite being 5 year old games with a 4 battle/day linear definition

Status
Not open for further replies.