Question Threadripper 2950X Heating Issue

BlackBorderGuy

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2014
Hey, I recently upgraded my PC and got a brand new Threadripper 2950x but I'm having heating issues. First, my build :

AMD Threadripper 2950x

Wraith Ripper

Gigabyte X399 Aorus PRO

Corsair CX750m

Box : Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev. 2

(I think other parts are irrelevant, I could list them though)

With fans running at full speed, I get an idle temperature of ~35c. By running a stress test or some simulation program needed for my job that have the CPU usage at 100% the temperature immediately climbs to 65 and keeps going upwards. Given that max temperature is 68, this doesn't seem normal. Any ideas of what might be wrong? Is it possible that my CPU is faulty?

Lutfij

Titan
No, your CPU can't be faulty. You might want to look and see if you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard, then look at the mounting of your cooler, to see if you've made proper contact with the IHS.

You seem to be in the right ballpark area for temps with that CPU, mind you. What are your ambient air temps? Check and see what temps are while the system is breadboarded.

BlackBorderGuy

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2014
Thank you very much for your quick answer. BIOS is updated and I had a technician install the parts on my computer, I had him double check everything after the issue appeared. He noticed one issue with the cooler, namely that there was a cable missing to connect it with the motherboard. He said this wouldn't affect performance at all, it was just in order for me to be able to control the RGB lighing on the cooler.

As for me being in the right ballpark area, well, if it keeps on going upwards of 65c within just a few minutes of running at 100%, then it will very likely quickly reach the maximum temperature of 68c, right? It doesn't stabilize, it keeps on increasing as the CPU is running at 100%. Ambient temperature would be around 25c. As for breadboarding, I assume this refers to something like this? https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...wn-to-the-basics-for-troubleshooting.1848255/

hitme987

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
I was in your shoes couple of months back and after some research I discovered that CM placed wraithripper fan in reverse direction. Due to which it fights against airflow of the case. Most units are built this way though few units are placed correctly.

I disassembled the cooler and reversed the fan direction. Saw much better temps. Here's a post if you need more info:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/coolermaster/comments/a46m26/psa_wraith_ripper_shroud_is_removable_for_those/

Also, I suggest you re-check TIM application. I found this application the best: https://m.hardocp.com/article/2018/02/19/amd_ryzen_threadripper_tim_application

BlackBorderGuy

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2014
Thank you very much for your post, the technician I first gave my PC to (before posting here) was aware of the issue and confirmed that the air was flowing outwards and not inwards. I will check the TIM application, appreciate the link.

May 4, 2019
I think this is normal for this CPU. With the cores all loaded and PBO turned on it seems to run up to the Throttle temperature or 4.1 GHz, whichever comes first.

To actually know how the thermal performance you are seeing, you need to know the core frequencies or the power drawn by the package. I get 220 Watts are around 4.05 GHz running Mersenne search on 16 cores. Temp is at the 68C throttle point steady. The cooler is a EKWB 240mm PE with the fast fans, but there is little difference between this cooling and Noctua 14 with the TR4 block.

My limit seems to be the package thermal coefficient. Othe instances may do better, but from the reviews I've seen, this is about as expected.