So I just built a new workstation. Here are my specs:

MSI MEG x399 Creation
Ryzen Threadripper 2990wx
MSI RTX 2080ti Gaming X Trio
HyperX Predator DDR4 CL16 DIMM XMP 3200MHz - 64GB 8x8
Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic
PSU EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
Enermax Liqtech TR4 II 360

MSI Afterburner shows really high CPU temperatures at about 65 degree C. When I'm just using Firefox. What could be the problem here? Have I not installed the cooler properly? Getting weird freeze too. All of this is making me nervous.

Please help!

Solution
Enermax Liqtech TR4 II 360 failure all over the net ...

i'm going for another brand , still deciding which one

75% of all forum threads about "Threadripper idle temp 68C° or higher" have Enermax Liqtech issues
so much is clear now.
Dec 18, 2018

He may have left the TR4 part out, but if thats the model, its made specifically for threadrippers. Though from what I've seen on reddit, these things don't have a great track record.

Dec 3, 2018

Lol I did apply thermal paste.
But just installed the Ryzen Master software. And the temperatures there are around 34C. Which is weird, because Afterburner still tells me 64C. Should I just disregard the Afterburner's readings then?
Still getting the annoying freeze though. :(

Dec 3, 2018

Sorry I got Enermax Liqtech TR4 II 360, which is specifically made for threadripper.

Dec 18, 2018

had to ask, sorry lol.
Try installing speed fan also, that has a cpu temp reading on it, see if that leans towards afterburner or master software.
The freeze, is it your system hanging here and there or full on locking up?

Jan 15, 2019
Enermax Liqtech TR4 II 360 failure all over the net ...

i'm going for another brand , still deciding which one

75% of all forum threads about "Threadripper idle temp 68C° or higher" have Enermax Liqtech issues
so much is clear now.

Solution

clsmithj

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
I know this is an old thread but I'm on a similar set up and discovering a similar situation.
Same motherboard and CPU, difference is my cooler is a MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R.
I'm getting 59°C at idle off MSI Creator Center.
What I found out after replacing my Command Center with this new Creator Center is that the new app gives you the Core Temperature and not the Socket Temperature like prior.
I noticed Ryzen Master also gives the Socket Temperature so the temps look low but in reality the Core Temp inside the chip is much hotter.
The HWInfo app is the only other app I know that list both Core and Chip Temps to validate my findings.