Threadripper Lands August 10, AMD Unveils Pricing, Accessory Kit, New 8-Core Model

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan

AMD used the same Zeppelin die for Ryzen, TR and EPYC. EPYC has 128x PCIe 3.0 even in 1S configuration, which means that each Zeppelin die has at least 32x PCIe 3.0.

The power and die area cost of PCIe 2.0 and 3.0 is practically the same, it wouldn't make much sense to mix them and that's why you only see CPUs implementing one type. Chipsets don't have sufficient upstream bandwidth to support PCIe 3.0 on their downstream ports and that's why most chipsets still only support PCIe 2.0 on their ports.

The most interesting discrepancy between EPYC and the other CPUs is that EPYC has no chipset. Instead, some of its PCIe lanes can also be used for USB3 and SATA3. I call that interesting as it means that AMD's whole lineup could have been designed to be chipset-less. Guess we'll get there on AM5 in 3-4 years.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I think a SouthBridge makes a lot of sense, though. It'd be a waste of PCIe lanes to use one or more for each of the lower-bandwidth peripherals. I mean, assuming people actually need x48 lanes for GPU computing.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

You don't need to use it to its full potential - you just need to use it beyond the potential of a lesser platform. Whether the delta is worth the price difference depends on what you're using it for.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

You're assuming it will perform >= than Ryzen x1800. However, some apps will actually run slower when split across multiple dies. We have to wait and see the benchmarks, but it's quite likely there'll be some.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I'm gonna go for Threadripper 1900X as it's a great CPU for home user. Anything higher is just overkill for me. If AMD gets it down to $399 it'll sell like hotcakes.

Solarion

Prominent
Jul 6, 2017
Asrock's x399 offerings are also ATX form factor. The Taichi is, at this time also the "cheap" x399 option...though it's still nearly $350.

AMD should come with a 1900 also but at best prices equal to a 1800X. So probably $450 is about the best to hope for unless you get a great black friday deal.

Celdronis

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017
To DARK_LORD69 & DUCHESS_1 :We live in 2017 .We have UHD tvs ,UHD Cameras ,VR Graphics is here, we like to edit a film witohut waiting for hours to finish ,and while we browse the web anti virus software is runnning ,malware software is running ,teamspeak when gaming ,oh and our game running ALL at the same time.I use web+teamspeak+lineage2 (OR ANY online game),nd thats a scenario 98% of the people are in to, in other words ,thats reality use for most people out there,and for this ,THREADRIPPER does it better ,faster,and ultimately more enjoyable.

We have UHD tvs
yeah, I've got one!

"UHD Cameras"
What's the point? I'll use my cell phone.

"VR Graphics is here"
are here... and yes, I have that too

"we like to edit a film witohut waiting for hours to finish"
Now there is a reason! but... I generally don't edit film.

"while we browse the web anti virus software is running"
Yeah, that's probably a good idea

"malware software is running"
You really should try to use 1 program for BOTH malware and viruses. Often that type of software will fight with others of the same type.

"web+teamspeak+lineage2 (OR ANY online game)"
AMAZING, Yesterday my CPU was able to allow me to play my game, scan for viruses and have a web browser open. HOLY LORD, I must have a 10 core, $1,400 CPU!.... or maybe you're just wrong about the need for these for average consumers.

My CPU has more than enough multitasking capability. I'm not saying Threadripper is pointless. If you want to spend $999 on a CPU then go ahead. I'm just saying I'm not dumb enough to think the performance gain is worth that much extra BUT some people have special tasks/needs that these CPU's are well suited for so I stand by what I said.

Don't get me wrong, If I'm building a computer and the person wants the best at any cost then I'll do it; but I would also advise him/her that the best is many times more expensive than very good and a single step down in each can save hundreds and barely affect any real world performance. What people like that don't realize is that performance doesn't scale perfectly alongside price.

The $999 CPU isn't double the speed of the $499 CPU.
...but when you buy the $499 CPU you can't say "I have the best." which is exactly the elitist mentality that many of our wealthiest citizens have. Bravo to AMD for cashing in on this... I would too if I was running things at AMD.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I think it's not useful to argue over what someone should want. You can debate what's the best hardware for a specific application, but you can't really make cost/benefit judgements for another person.

If you saw everything with a 100% utilitarian midset, then everyone should be wearing cheap, plain clothes. I might not be into fashion, but I don't hold it against others who want to spend their money that way. If it makes them happy and isn't particularly hurting anyone, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.