Three 27" IPS LCDs: UltraSharp U2711, DS-277W, And MultiSync PA271W

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scikokid

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Great reviews guys..but i have one point to note... i have just recently purchased a Dell U2711 and using HDMI, I get audio from the 3.5mm port to my speakers..but in your write up you stated that feature did not work...but I'm using it as we speak with my Xbox 360 connected via HDMI and using my Logitech speakers connected directly to the monitor's 3.5 audio out ports...

mangostea

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
[citation][nom]AppleBlowsDonkeyBalls[/nom]I got 270ms average on the reaction time test./is a sad panda.[/citation]

Well gaming isn't based purely on your reaction time to changing of colours and clicking. It also requires prior knowledge of the game, actual response with mouse movement, accuracy of mouse movement, and response to sounds. So imo "if you're a truly competitive gamer, you'll likely end up under 100 ms." is kinda BS.

compton

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]AppleBlowsDonkeyBalls[/nom]It'd be pretty nice if there were a 24" 16:10 or even 16:9 quality monitor with a VA or IPS panel in the $300 range. Does such a thing exist?[/citation]

I can only speak for Dell's, but there is a 23" 16:9 eIPS U2311H (Which I own) with a list price of $300, but has been on sale for $250. Then there is their brand new U2412 which is 16:10 1900x1200 eIPS LED backlit and $399, but possibly much cheaper with a coupon.

Taylor422

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
Let's get some 24 inch monitors up next. This is a good review for those who have oodles of money, but these monsters cost more than my rig.

Device Unknown

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I have not seen any reviews in a looong time on Televisions used as monitors,. Yet including myself everyone else i know uses one giant screen in addition to their normal Monitors. Any chance i could see which, lets say, 42-46 inch LCD TV would be best for PC use? Not just games but text wise also.

Luay

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
My mind is set on getting the Asus ProArt. 1900x1200 24"er is out and 1920x1080 23", 2560x1440 27" is on the way. Imo, those are the ones that balances out catering to graphics designers and gamers.

toddb_75

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
I would like to see some Eizo & LaCie reviewed. These are monitors intended for the professional market. When I dream of a monitor it is for a digital photophaphy workflow and these are what I see as the bench mark to beat in my understanding. Including these monitors would give a broader scope the review.

G

Dear Tom's Hardware Engineer's, I enjoy your articles and reviews. I enjoyed your article and high performance monitors. I would like to see you discuss Samsungs P2770 w/HDTV Tuner. Maybe a two or three other 27" monitors might be compared. signed Lytle Jones

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]soccerdocks[/nom]On the "Black And White Uniformity, Viewing Angles" page the 3rd table states that it is for the Samsung S22A350H when it is actually for the NEC.[/citation]

BTW, where's Samsung in this round-up?

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]Thank you for this comparison, very interesting reading! I am somewhat disappointed that 27" monitors nowadays don't use 2560*1600 panels. That resolution makes much more sense to me for a monitor that is not targetted at the average consumer.Personally I would love a 2560*1920 (or 2048) screen @ 120Hz, but if I understand correctly link speed becomes an issue here.Why is it that displays for mobile phones are increasing in pixel density, but desktop displays don't improve in this regard?For a next review I would really like to get a better understanding of (high-resolution) 120Hz monitors. What are the (dis)advantages of 120Hz for regular/2D usage, etc...[/citation]

I really have to agree here. I'm frustrated by the current availability of LCD monitors, at any price (not that my budget is unlimited, but I did just spend total $900 on one so it's not bottom-dollar). My next purchase will most likely be a 30", but I'm going to hate it in part, unless things change, for 2 reasons: first, the pixel pitch will be larger than my U2711 (.25mm as opposed to .23mm), and it will still be 60Hz.

I'd like to see a screen built on the .233 pixel pitch technology at 16:10 as opposed to 16:9 (2560x1600); I almost didn't buy the 27" because it was 16:9, but gambled that it would be large enough it wouldn't matter so much - fortunately I was right, it works well enough for me.

Even better, a 30" built on the .233" format (Dare I say, smaller? You know you can do it, come on, gives up something to really "WOW!" over! :) )

I got lucky and was able to get my U2711 for $825 a few months ago when Dell had it's big 25% off sale. I'm a bit unlucky though in that I live in Texas, so had to pay tax, which brought my total just under $900 (shipping was free). In my opinion, in today's market, that's a good price, but today's market has a lot of overpriced LCDs in the "enthusiast" level. Obviously, I decided it was worth it, for the pixel pitch above all else, but I would like to see the industry drop the prices on these things and I think the increase in sales would more than make up for it in profits.

That being said, no one builds and sells these monitors much cheaper than $999, certainly not less than the $839 for the speakerless Doublesight. I'd like to see Hazro's line-up reviewed, though they've had a few production problems and aren't yet available in the U.S. I think they are ready for some exposure, and have an 8-bit color pallet 2560x1440 display which may save around $150 or so and be the ticket for a lot of people. I believe others are going to offer similar displays in the near future (sometime in the next year-ish).

But yeah, please, please bring 12O Hz (TRUE 120Hz, not that junk extrapolated TV thing) to the finer pixel pitch monitors, and quit trying to sell the awful 27" screens as "monitors", they might be fine as TVs viewed across the living room but those truck-sized pixels are going to look horrendous viewed close up.

One thing I'll say about the U2711, which has nothing to do with response time for gaming, but what I see. LCD monitors tend to bother me more than CRTs if the frame rate drops, and the U2711 is worse, to me, than my TN monitor in that regard. In every other aspect it's a far superior monitor, but if the frame rate drops to say 45ish or less, it just screws with my eyes (my brain, of course). Probably most people won't be bothered near like I am, as this is something that seems to effect me more than most, but might be something to consider since the huge pixel increase over a smaller monitor means a much bigger demand on your graphics system, and frame rates will likely drop significantly.

;)

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Great review.

Cnet's review showed the Dell and NEC to be virtually equal with the NEC slightly better. The Display Mate ratings were equal at 98. I think that the Dell is better than portrayed in this review. Cnet said that the color was also slightly better with the NEC. However, the NEC is more expensive and lacks modern connections like HDMI.

The Dell is the probably the better overall pick when all features are added up. However the NEC does have a slightly better picture. NEC is known of its high quality picture/video.

G

Monitors: Dell 3011 vs HP 30 inch ips.

Also would be cool to see examined difference between lamps (on example of dell u2410), LED and CCFL,
though it's probably different subject, since 30 inch ips's don't have it yet.

Thanks in advance.

G

If only this had come out a few days ago, before I ordered my new monitor.
Or not, it wouldn't have changed my decision. Just read this review on my new Dell U2711. Damn it's big, damn it's sharp, damn it's bright.
But most importantly, it's accurate, which i need for my photography work, the calibration certificate that came with it gives all the colours under 2 Delta-E and more than half under 1.In the greys, #8 is almost 0, but the other 7 range between 2-4.
Beats my last Samsung 1680x1050 20" and Lenovo 15.4" 1680x1050 laptop by a long shot. Wish I could have gotten a 2560x1600 in about 24", but can't get them less than 30".

Not sure if it was a coincidence with the release of this article, but Dell Australia had it $270 off $900 down to $630 for 3 days last week (although regular price was $800 in June). Still, even that was about the same as the rest of my new system (GA-990FXA-UD3, Phenom2 1055T, 4GB 1600C9 Corsair, etc)

thething

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
Nice review.
I would pretty much appreciate reviewing Apples 27" IPS display and ViewSonic VP2655WB 26" IPS offering.

Anthelvar

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
we Need a 120Hz Monitor review. 3D monitors are great for playing games at 120hz without 3d or with. Once you go 120hz you definately will not want to play at 60Hz again.

Please review these monitors. 27" preferably or just a mash up of sizes

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]30" Dell IPS, Apple Cinima Display, IMac 27/30" display, TV's for use as TV monitors. 3d Monitors. Quad LCD monitors (RGB+Yellow)... Projectors, including lag time...CNet used to do stuff like this, so did PC Mag. They stopped. Bothers me. I have to rely totally on Amazon/Newegg/TigerDirect user reviews for screen info.[/citation]http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews.htm is a pretty decent site. The reviews are pretty detailed.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]IPS vs VA in gaming. Although just a regular sum up of the available 22-24 VA panels would be great.[/citation]
A few years back I used to be all about the VA/PVA monitors for gaming; they had better black levels, viewing angles were comparable (174-176 vs ips's 178), a heck of a lot cheaper, fairly decent RGB accuracy and were a heck of a lot faster on response time. Nowadays, they're both pretty comparable, IPS's shortfalls vs PVA for gaming are pretty much a thing of the past so you can game on either. IPS's color accuracy is generally a little better and PVA's still tend to have slightly better black levels (vs the low price point IPS monitors).

To me, the key things I look for in monitors now isn't so much the panel technology, I'm happy with either the IPS or PVA tech. I'm more concerned about backlight uniformity and leakage. Nothing bugs me more than when I'm playing a game/movie watching and the backlight bleed ruins the 'dark' sceens. Unless you go completely dirt cheap, most IPS and PVA monitors are going to have decent response times for gaming.

Robustus

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
I'm a happy owner of Dell U2711 and I have to say that we managed well. Yes! I've been waiting for this. Is there any possibility that you would put the calibration settings/details here somewhere on this site. I have CNET.com's review info, but would like to have another opinion.

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Bump on the 120hz monitor review, there are a few new models out now and some hybrid 3d monitors which are not 120hz but still claim to do 3d. The comparison would be a 3d monitor review for 3d games, movies as well as 2d games and movies. There are claims that a 120hz monitor is superior to a 60hz when it comes to FPS games.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.