Three 27" IPS LCDs: UltraSharp U2711, DS-277W, And MultiSync PA271W

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andrercrocha1975

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
1st $1000 for one single component is a lot of money to me. excellent review. i am more confortable at the ±$500 range. i want to see more 23-24in reviews before buying.

someoneelse

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Well played on using a 1000 FPS high-speed camera on the test.

Most sites still put a flat screen and a crt on the same graphics card running in clone mode. run a timer app that displays in milliseconds. take a photo of both screens with a digital camera and then say any difference is lag.

toms way is much better. keep it up

G

as a long time photographer I can safely and freely state that not all monitors are created equal. For a very long time I held onto my old CRT monitor even though I had larger and "faster" LCD displays. The reason is accurate brightness and color reproduction.

What you see on the common TN "cheap" LCD monitor is generally not a very accurate representation of the intended brightness or color. There are other considerations as well such as pixel pitch and viewing angles.

If you are a gamer then none of this is really a concern and you should actually look to buy the cheaper TN screens as they generally have a faster refresh rate - and lower ghosting.

Of course even gamers should look for the best monitors in their price ranges......these 27" monitors reviewed here aren't what you are looking for.

IPS panels are designed more for photo, graphics, and video processing.

hen3ry2

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
As LCD monitors are on their way out in favor of other technologies what I'd like to see is a review of some 32" or larger plasma or OLED displays capable of at least 2560x1600. I am in need of screens that can satisfy my gaming obsession, my need to do real work with Adobe Photoshop as well as HD video production, and which will allow me to watch HDTV from my studio couch. You know, a display that satisfies the criteria of the "digital convergence" we have been hearing rumors about for the past ten years!

G

I'd like to see some 24" 16:10 monitors as well. Especially the Asus PA246Q against new cheap Dell and from the viewpoint of professional work also.

murdoc

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
[citation][nom]agnickolov[/nom]I'd recommend the same IPS review applied on affordable 24-26" monitors that most of us would actually potentially buy. It's nice to dream about 27"+ 2560x1440, but let's get back to reality with 24" 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 (if still available) IPS monitors please. (At least until higher resolutions enter mainstream price points.)[/citation]

I disagree that 27"+ is for dreamers. I personally own a U2711 myself and I love this monitor to bits. My game of choice is BF3 and not to mention, movies give off the theater experience.

Dell has financing options available for expensive monitors which you can take advantage of. There are also sales that come up once in a while for these IPS monitors and you can really save quite a few bucks on it.

Why settle for less and then regret wishing you bought 27"+ monitor? I just wish they improved LED tech to get IPS-LED up on par with H-IPS quality screen levels. The power consumption for these H-IPS babies are high and they pump a lot more heat compared to my old TN.

footman

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
I just bought this monitor and do not have extra money to buy calibration equipment. Can you share with me the settings you used after fully calibrating this monitor for the review?
Thanks,
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.