Question Three (3) Device Failure - Urgent Help Needed!

AstroCEO

Honorable
May 25, 2017
PC Specifications:
-AsRock Taichi Ultimate Z390 Motherboard
-Intel Core i9 9900K with Watercool HEATKILLER® IV PRO @5.1GHz [0 AVX2 Offset]
-Nvidia Titan RTX (24GB) GDDR6 with Watercool HEATKILLER® IV
-G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 4000 @3800MHz [CL 14/15/15/28]
-Sabrent Rocket 4TB NVMe M.2 2280 SSD
-EVGA SuperNOVA 1600W T2 PSU -Burson Audio Playmate with V6 Vivid Opamps
-Singularity Computers Protium D5 Acetal Black Reservoir with PrimoChill Vue Blood Orange Fluid
-Hardware Labs Nemesis GTR 360 & 240 Radiators

---

For my PC above, I have been using it for 3 years now no problem. Out of nowhere, last week, My Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus bricked. I couldn't start the computer, just straight to bios with no device found. I pulled out my Windows 10 flash USB and tried a reinstall, after reseating and using a different port with no luck, it recognized the drive, but fails to partition with a Hex Error. DiskPart shows nothing either. So, I warranty it, send back that SSD, and put in another Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus I have to reinstall temporarily. Two days go by and the exact same thing occurs with this new SSD. So, I say ok, I'll use my emergency Windows To Go USB, and that will last me until I figure this out. One day goes by and that USB has also in fact bricked. For the love of God...

What in the world could be doing this to my hard drive devices? I have been doing this for 15 years and never seen anything like it. Someone please help me if you know anything. This is proving terribly expensive and disruptive for me currently :(

Thanks for any help, AstroCEO!

Last edited:

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Burned, cooked, slightly crispy but still limping...
One other thing you could try is refreshing your Chipset & USB drivers, factory.
Do you run automated windows updates ? You need to block that from replacing your drivers.

AstroCEO

Honorable
May 25, 2017
Can a damaged motherboard even start always, be impaired, and only damage the memory devices USB or Nvme SSD. Seems like a lot of specific what ifs.

If the mobo was struggling wouldn't it hurt my GPU or CPU that appear fine currently?

I install factory driver's originally, and let Windows Update run it's course. Maybe there was a chipset change in the updates. Unsure how that would brick memory controllers though.

AstroCEO

Honorable
May 25, 2017
So, I managed to recover the Windows To Go USB. Not sure what happened with that USB specifically, but it's fine. So the issue resides in the two Sabrent NVMe SSDs.