Three Core i7 Systems From Botique Builders

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Some things I would love to ask Alienware...

Since they merged with Dell how much has their product development process changed? How much does Dell factor into Alienware product decisions?

Of course it's gonna cost more coming from a boutique, because I assume they have put a lot of work into finding not only the best parts but the best combination of parts and making sure everything works. Not to mention they have to support what they sell, which isn't exactly cheap. Now I have always built my own desktops but as I get older I find myself more willing to pay a little more to not have the headache of dealing with/troubleshooting a bad part.

I am not sure about all the Dell hate either, my father has had problems with Dell several times but they have always been quick to fix them, and he even got a full replace(which was an upgrade) out of them. If you are looking for something you can upgrade in the future I would assume you would check out the PCs you are looking at before the purchase and stay away from the ones that would be problematic. When a company is making a low cost PC they are probably not looking at expandability they are looking at making a cheap PC with at least a little margin on it, if you need expandability that should be something you look for when buying not something they need to bake into every product.

steele phoenix

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I am looking at replacing my wife's computer. And was seriously considering a custom built PC. What a suprise to see Tom's with a review on exactly what I was thinking.

AVADirect's entry was very close to what I was hoping for. Another bonus! Then checking the website I can't find this combination of hardware anywhere. What is wrong with that? Even the barebones setup does not provide the water cooling solution or overclocking.

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
1.A TYPO: The first game in the benchmark suit is "FAR CRY 2", not the old "FAR CRY" !!!
2. The CoolerMaster Storm Sniper's left side panel can accomodate two 120 mm fans or one (((230)))mm fan, well I don't know about one 140 mm one! I'm not sure!
3. I think the guys at cyberpower didn't attach all the fans to the controller ( the 'oversized' knob at the front panel ), this is designed to adopt additional 5 fans,but they attached only the front and top fans, therefore the case is said to be loud , probably because other fans were running at their full spead! check the link.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CoolerMaster/Storm_Sniper/4.html

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]marcdiana12[/nom]A good comparison would be to take a look at a high performance automobile and the components those manufacturers choose to build their cars with. The Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution is a .....[/citation]
Again!..Stop comparing PCs to cars. How many peaple have the resources, tools and time to assemble a car? This is exclusive to "pimp my ride" geeks and the likes! Perhaps it will be a general practice when cars will adopt tool-less or semitool-less assembly like PCs!! The cheapest non-toolless PC enclosure will require only a screwdriver and about two hours maximum to have the computer running.. Try yourself and assemble your own automobile in your backyard and then feel safe to drive it to the max speed on the highway with your children in the back seats!!! BULLSHIIIIIIIIIIIT.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]Luscious[/nom]I'd like to know what power supply the Alienware uses so I can use it in my next build. Power saving like that definitely add up over the course of a year, and when you look at the life of the hardware (18-48 months) those savings on your electricity bill can add up to the cost of the hardware itself sometimes.[/citation]
The power saving is because they didn't over clock it at all. Also the GTX 295 is more power efficient than the others.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]boudy[/nom]Was shipping accounted into the budget?....thats usually the killer when I build a computer. It takes me from a $1000 budget, to a $700 budget, and thats the difference between an extra video card (a GTX 260 or a 4870).[/citation]
You need to stop shopping arround for the absolute lowest prices.. you're getting shafted on shipping. Pick one or at most two shops to buy your parts from and you'll get that money back into your budget. Also watch for free shipping deals. One of the biggest reasons Newegg is so popular is because they have great prices on some things but decent prices on most else plus you get free S&H on some items and they scale S&H on a purchase rather than charge a flat S&H fee per item.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
[citation][nom]boudy[/nom]Was shipping accounted into the budget?....thats usually the killer when I build a computer. It takes me from a $1000 budget, to a $700 budget, and thats the difference between an extra video card (a GTX 260 or a 4870).[/citation]
In places like e-bay, you can sort by price+shipping.

If you live in USA, shipping can be really cheap. at less a lot more cheap than 300 U$S for all components.

Also, probably you can buy the cabinet in your town, and the rest of components in Internet. Shipping cost depends on the volume and weigth, so if you exclude the bigger and heavier component, you can save a lot.

blevsta

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
This is a great article. I wish you guys would have measured the CPU temps for each machine. Then we could see how effective each PCs cooling solution is. A dead CPU that was running at 3.7ghz 6 months prior would be slower than a 2.66ghz CPU that still runs today.

As for Alienware, the system I just built 1 month ago outclasses it, and I spent $1300 less. I just read an announcement saying the Alienware division is going to have some major layoffs. I hate to see people lose their jobs, but I hope this helps them put forward a more competitive product. From this article, you can see that it gets smoked in almost every test. Maybe they should just start selling custom cases instead?

bsacheli

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
Build it yourself for Less and get More!
I got a Asus P6T with the i7 920 Oced to 2.9997
12 Gb Ram
Asus Radeon 4870X2 2Gb Video Ram
Lg BluRay Combo Drive + a DVD ROM I already had
Silverstone 1200Watt PS
2 Tb WesternDigital HDD + 1Tb WD HDD I already had
all inside a NZXT Case that Super Quite
connected to dual 28" HannsG Monitors that I already had

@ Luscious it doesn't matter what power supply if you have the P6T Motherboard Asus includes a app Call EPU 6 Engine you can set it so you use the least amount of power to run the CPU at UnderClocked speed of -8% at slow walking speed or OverClocked speed of +5% at Rocket Speed or any percentage you set it at

mgph

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
sorry for being noob but I wanna ask that looking on what specs you determine 4870x2 is the slowest ? What I heard from my friends is it has ddr5 gpu memory and so, it should not be slowest even if not fastest. Even if it's slowest, does it matter and affect much on your rigs ? Your suggestion would be valuable as I'm looking for a gpu which is the best in the market to last 2/3 years(I mean it should be playable all the latest games except crazy ones like Crysis at max settings without thinking about other things such as CPU, RAM)

dragin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
Hey, I built my monster for waaaay less than $2500. It is all housed in a Cooler Master 932 HAF with the ASUS P6T6 Revolution. Yes, the Intel i7 Quad Core 920 processor, 6GB of Corsair Dominator DDR3 and 6 more Corsair XMS3, Yea, 12GBs! I upgraded the front red fan (700rpms) to the blue (900rpms)replaced the rear fan and added a 1900rpm to the back and bottom of the case. They are controlled and pretty quiet. I had to have the Cooler Master V8 to keep the processor cool. Oh, (1)N9800GTX Plus 512M OC Graphics card, and 2.5TB of hard drive. About $1900. I'm happy!

irzyxel

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Placed order with cyberpowerpc on 14th. Processed on 16th.

1 week rolls by, I mailed a question. Received response two days later also notifying me case was on back order and will I wait? I respond unhappy asking if anyone would have told me had I not mailed them or would I have been calling sometime first week of April asking where my order is. I also say I will wait.

They more or less copy their prior message and resend it a day later.

Again I agree to wait, as placing a new order, even through another company, will just add on to my wait time, however at this point I am not optimistic.

So the 25th I get a response that they sent my order to their warehouse.

Who knows how long it will take to build and ship when the case does come in. Right now I'm looking at an order placed on the 14th of May being received likely the second week of April. By then I probably would have been able to get a better deal. Fantastic. Rethinking now, I should have cut my losses and canceled.

AVADirect_Joe

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
steele phoenix,

If you would like some assistance in specing out a system for your wife, feel free to contact me directly.

If anyone else is interested as well, I will leave my direct contact information in this post.

Kind Regards,

Joseph Mundy
joseph.mundy@avadirect.com
1-800-808-8299 Direct

dragin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
xsamitt, wasn't the introduction all about the i7 Quad-core CPU? That OC able little thing is really nice! If the 3.2 GHz Core i7 965 Extreme Edition wasn't a grand, I would have gotten it. I gotta be thrifty these days. I still love the 2.66GHz though.

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
[citation][nom]irzyxel[/nom]Placed order with cyberpowerpc on 14th. Processed on 16th. 1 week rolls by, I mailed a question. Received response two days later also notifying me case was on back order and will I wait? I respond unhappy asking if anyone would have told me had I not mailed them or would I have been calling sometime first week of April asking where my order is. I also say I will wait. They more or less copy their prior message and resend it a day later. Again I agree to wait, as placing a new order, even through another company, will just add on to my wait time, however at this point I am not optimistic. So the 25th I get a response that they sent my order to their warehouse. Who knows how long it will take to build and ship when the case does come in. Right now I'm looking at an order placed on the 14th of May being received likely the second week of April. By then I probably would have been able to get a better deal. Fantastic. Rethinking now, I should have cut my losses and canceled.[/citation]

They arent known for their Customer Service. On the same token though, after viewing cyberpowers page amnd many others, I challenge you to find a place you can get a cheaper pre built gaming PC. Ibuypower is close, and I swear both companies use the same web designer.

irzyxel

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Yes I know. I spent some time on ibuypower as well. I have always built my own. I chose to order a built machine due to price. The components added up individually to a much larger price tag.
mobo/cpu/gpu alone would have surpassed the system total I came up with, but would not equal a complete working machine.

Hopefully a month wait does not end up being the least of my worries.

I opted to get the cheapest configuration(with OS) to minimize paying extra for junk components. At the same time not paying their premiums for the good stuff. Leaving me with a complete system to start with. One that is highly upgradeable.

righteous

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I would never buy a preassembled system for many reasons.
I did read this article through, and saw a much different message than most.

The price premium for someone to zip-tie my front panel usb cables is literally absurd...possibly obscene.

The Marketing involved is funny too. I have many reasons, but let's pick on what we call watercooling here...ahaha... Folks, that is not watercooling. That is what you end up with when you have a few fruitcakes around a table discussing how to market the word "Watercooling", and to "just make it work". Anyone with a true watercooled machine will attest to that.

The videocards used in these system are of course very good in either the nvidia or ATI variety. But we now have a very decent range of cards on the market, most of which will more than do the job and with cards in these machines like they are selling that are nothing but overkill and overcost you stand to save a couple hundred there too. (a couple hundred is a swifteck water cooling system. (eh? lol) I personally use 2 4870s in crossfire. Total cost: 340 bucks! Yes, they are absolutely aw3some. Food for thought. No need to drop 500 bucks on a video card...plus the markup charged to slot it. ;)

Mainboard selection is good IMO. A good board can't be screwed up...that I know of yet.

The cases...ugh...amazing how nowadays we can slap a cheap, albeit different facade on the same damned steel box (with varying fanhole locations for identity.) and people never look deeper than that. No way.
Junk!

Buy a silverstone case instead (when building it yourself like you should) and you'll have a case that will live through 5 systems and get solid heavy precision aluminum quality instead of something that will be a broken brown filthy piece of plastic with rusted fangrills in the same duration. Please...the case is the cornerstone of your prized machine.

You just don't skimp there. Point? Buying it separate and installing the parts in it yourself puts a good case in your reach. You'll love yourself for it. Seriously!

I spent about 3000 dollars total on my watercooled high end system being someone who loves the high end as well as having something cool to look at. Nothing wrong with that. But what could have been very wrong is (if I could find someone willing to build my system for me)would be if I spent 5 grand on the same system for having someone else do it instead of doing it myself, and pocketing the premium. ;)

I know there are a lot of people who are not "technical" and don't want to assemble a system. But then again, how much cheaper is it for a book to show you how, or the cost of internet service to join a forum and learn how? eh?

Oh, and after building my own system...I used what I "saved" vs. a preassembled to go to mexico! My wife liked that one. real smooth. :)

If I am going to spend 3 grand on a rapidly depreciating piece of equipment that is going to realistically be mine for 2 years tops and likely only a year, then do it right and build it yourself. You'll have pride in ownership, and have an intimate knowledge of it with no need for anyone's "support". And now warranty issues with each subcomponent manufacturer being good these days with their own warrantees.

My conclusion and my whole point in this is why buy something that is nothing better than an HP you can buy from Best Buy, and in the end having most of your "PC hobbyist peers" asking you the funnay question you never want to hear: You payed what for THAT???? Those holding your groin right now got it!

Opinions may differ, but this one is mine.

irzyxel

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
If I had a three thousand dollar budget to work with, I certainly wouldn't have ordered a pre built system for the first time. I'd have a hardcore rig already built, instead of waiting. I also wouldn't have posted a comment.

Norseman

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
I have an Alienware ALX with 2 4870's X2 video cards and couldn't be happier; yes I can afford it; and I have built my own systems. I am very impressed with the water cooling and the sound dampening; I love the black case and am completely satisfied with my purchase. I really hate it when some peep puts Alienware or some other Boutique builder down. I also drive a C6 Corvette. I guess neither of these purchases is considered correct in this Obama-crazy, 'Politically Correct', world we currently inhabit, but so what!

elektrip

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
GHz and VGA horsepower a gogo...I'd rather have some Intel X25/OCZ Vertex SSDs in my system. HDDs are a huge bottleneck in todays systems. There is no fast and snappy PC with harddrives installed.

elektrip

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
Why do people still fall for the marketing hype when installing PSUs? What are >750 watts for when a CF/SLI config with many peripherals installed doesn't even draw the half of it from the power outlet? Think about power efficency...

npsgaming

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
No offense to anyone who supports the companies but all 3 systems are a lazy way to get a Core I7 rig. For $2500.00 you could go to newegg.com and create an amazing I7 rig with dual or maybe even 3x SLi and 9+ gigs of ram. If you want performance systems don't go to a manufacturer its just a rip off

irzyxel

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
I spent a bit over 800 for what I'll end up actually using(mobo/cpu/memory/case/OS). The rest I'll gut and put into an old system or use as spare parts. This leaves me with a solid base to work with for a better price than buying separate, yet still having the parts I want. Spare parts are a bonus when you're already saving money.

If I were spending one grand, three grand, or twenty grand, I'd still be trying to get the most I could out of that money. This is why I went the route I did. Thanks ;p

irzyxel

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
cyberpowerpc
order placed March 14th

Note 03/23 curently case you selected is on back order, please call Steve at 800-707-0393 ext. 106 to let us know if you are willing to wait or if you would like to change the case.

04/02 currently the case you selected is on back order until end of April. Please call Steve at 800-707-0393 ext. 106 to let us know if you are willing to wait or if you are willing to chnage to a different case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS