Three Lawsuits Launched Against Intel Over ‘Defective Chips’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Ward

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
So like 10 years ago, we had an idea of the kind of security requirements of today.... on advertising.. I see advertising on speed, not on iops... should be interesting to see how this fly's.

phobicsq

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017
Considering the loss of performance by too much heat due to no longer soldering their chips, now Intel will decrease it more with fixes for security flaws.... wow

skyfaller

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
LOL...people buy stuff that doesn't perform to their expectations? Maybe they should go build their own that does.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012

Did you read the article?
Intel knew about it awhile and they still release the flaw products.

hgchuong

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017
This situation has caused me great stress and pain everytime i use my computer.

Therefore I plan to join the lawsuit and am requesting 50 million dollars for my pain and suffering.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012

Yup i plan on joining it also cause i expected get the performance at the fullest extent as advertised and they knew about it (before they sold the stocks)

Expecting the get
More than 20$ for my Intel i5 7600
More than 20$ for my Intel i9 7940X
More than 20$ for my Intel i7 6950X.

ElMojoMikeo

Prominent
Mar 26, 2017
Only the computer industry could find an Apple company who stole just about every technology they use today. Now they have the cold hearts to actually claim they designed anything. They are a waste of technology and my time.

darobin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
There is a tool put out by Intel to detect whether your PC is "vulnerable" -- which they all are of course. But with all the talk of patches, I have not seen any appear on my machines....https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27150

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I didn't think the class action lawsuits would start until after Intel AND the other companies had a chance to patch...there are flaws and vulnerabilities found and patched all the the time. When I purchased my i7-7700K (and Intel processors before it) I didn't read any fine print in the box, but I don't recall ever reading that it "promises" a specific performance (especially benchmarks)....except for specs of a normally operating chip: cores, threads, clock speed, temp threshold, etc. Internet benchmarks, not Intel, seem to set people's expectations. While some of the enterprise workload discussed may have reason to seek compensation, I suspect these class action lawsuits are simply an attempted money grab by some lawyers in an American legal system that doesn't punish for lost frivolous lawsuits. Whether Intel wins or loses, the consumer will end up paying the legal and compensation costs with price adjustments. FWIW I've applied the patch to my Windows 10 machine and, after stabilizing, I'm not experiencing any noticeable impact. My only initial concern was that immediately after install my CPU was running 100% at 75C (100C on a laptop) but that came down after a few minutes and a restart. To be honest, there have been plenty of other Windows Updates that have resulted in more immediately noticeable performance impacts. I guess Intel is targeted because they got the worse press. AMD said it didn't affect them at all but there are side stories that says that it can/does. Likewise, my Pixel 2 got a patch day before yesterday for the same bug after ARM processors were allegedly susceptible to it.

chobao

Prominent
May 4, 2017
LOL dont use intels own tool haha...its like all the tools used for benchmarks tuned for intel processors

gcons

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
Speculative execution actually **executes** (but doesn't commit) the next instructions (especially after a branch that was predicted). Pre-fetch/Multi-issue/Instruction Caching will seek the (probable) next instructions and pre-cache them. Lets get things right, at least, because 99% of people reading don't really understand the issues anyway.

bblack1

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018
Their competitors could sue them for lost business as their designs were less effected. I think intelligence services were using these flaws based on other countries designing their own CPU when they could have gotten these mass produced ones for nothing.

They could have honeypot a computer that was infected and study the design of the malware using this exploit.

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
Lets see here....
Core2Duo E6750
Core2Duo E8400
Core2Quad Q9650
Core i7 860
Core i3 530 (for girlfriend at the time pc)
Pentium G 3258 (in current girlfriends daughters pc I built for her)
Core i5 3570k

Should net me about $30 from these class action lawsuits right? xD

Love my ryzen 7 1700!

After the lawyers take their multi-million dollar cut, you can expect about $0.30.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012

Plan to file a class action lawsuit for Fraud and False Advertisement
behalf of my Intel i5 7600,Intel i9 7940X and Intel i7 6950X. .

Very unconstitutional move by Intel Corporation.

paul horn

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Really?? The majority of users are using about 20% of the CPU. Even company servers don’t use 100%. The servers I ran hit 30% with peaks around 50% while operational and doing backups. Now what about the other manufactures with security flaws.

It’s just greedy people looking for money. This will a long drawn out process.

Status
Not open for further replies.