Three Monitor Setup Help

Mar 26, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I am a bit stuck and wondering of anyone could offer some advise.

I am trying to set up three external monitors from a 2017 MacBook Pro - Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB.

Hardware - MacBook to Pluggable TBT3-UDV hub - I have a Dell u3415W monitor with successful display via hub's DP to HDMI adapter.

I also have Two (2) 2012 Lenovo 3024-HC1 / LT2323p monitors that I am having a hard time hooking up.
No Display.

The goal is to have the two Lenovos on the left and right flank to the Dell u34w15. The two side displays are going to to be used for mail / calendar / spreadsheets etc. The quality and refresh rate of these displays do not need to be top of the line.

I first tried running one monitor form the Dell's DP out (daisy-chain) to DVI adapter and no display recognized. Monitor went into power save mode.

I tried troubleshooting by removing the Dell from the Pluggable Hub - and went Pluggable to DP to DVI Adapter and no display on the Lenovo (with two different adapters). I do believe the DVI cable and adapter are good sine they recently worked on a PC, but no success form the MPB.

If anyone has some advise - it is great appreciated.

Thank you!

Solution

Hi,

After...
DisplayPort daisy-chain ports won't work if the host monitor is not connected with DisplayPort. You also cannot use adapters from a daisy-chain port. You need to go DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort on both monitors.

For the third monitor you might try a Thunderbolt to DisplayPort adapter from the dock's downstream TB port.

Mar 26, 2018
Than you again for your help. I bought 2 DP to DP cables (Cable Matters). I replaced the DP to HDMI adapter from the Hub to the Dell U3415W as suggested. The first DP to DP cable worked.

My hope is to figure out why DP MST is not working from MacBook Pro to HUB / Hub to Dell U3415w works) / Dell U3415w DP out to DP in on Lenovo does not work.

I then ran out from DP out to the second monitor. Enabled DP 1.2 on the Dell Menu - but the second monitor does not receive a signal. Please note DP is selected on the Lenovo.

I am running a "third" monitor usb c to DP from MacBook Pro to the other Lenovo.
Trouble Shooting If I unplug this connection / the second Monitor does not work - so graphics card is not the issue.

Hi,

After some further research, it looks like the Apple operating system does not support DisplayPort daisy-chaining yet.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/can-someone-confirm-if-mst-displayport-daisy-chaining-works-on-high-sierra.2051490/

Solution
Mar 26, 2018
I am seeing the same thing. Thank you for your help. I am going to buy another USB C to DP cable and run it from MBP. While not as clean as I had hoped.. its no big deal! Thank you again.